Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-29-2005, 10:25 PM

Default Re: 2-5 NL Tough Boston Game

No way AK stacks off without improvement.
Old 06-29-2005, 10:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
No way AK stacks off without improvement.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just going with what the poster said.
Old 06-29-2005, 11:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Villain's hand range doesn't really do too well against a raise all-in. Especially if you can weight TT lightly and include AQs.

Edit: Messed up position.

[/ QUOTE ]

If villain never folds an overpair in this spot, his hand range does very well against a raise all-in.
Old 06-29-2005, 11:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Really my options here are push or fold, i can't really call because he's aggressive enough to push on the turn for my last 450 with AK and blow me away.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't see why it's push or fold.

Well, you have to make a decision on the flop whether he has you beat or not. If you decide to continue (because you feel the probability he has AK is good enough)... then call. Let him double you up when he pushes the turn with AK. Sure, you take a risk that he hits his 6 outs on the turn. But, you also get doubled through when the turn and river bricks off. If you decide to play the pot, give him the chance to double you through. Don't blow him off the worst hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good post. This is definitely not a push or fold given the circumstances described.

Also, this is a simple math problem if you're confident in your read of his hand range and the assumption that he will push the turn with unimproved AK. Run the numbers and you'll have an answer. Then run it when you have QQ, or when the flop is 642, or whatever. These exercises should give you an idea of when to call and when to fold next time.

These are among the easiest spots in NL, IMO (reraiser has a very limited hand range, and can hold all hands with equal probability). If you trust your assumptions (which it sounds like you do), just plug in the numbers.

Preflop is fine, BTW. I don't see how you can ever fold when it sounds like you'll stack him almost every time.

Also, is this game on River Street in Cambridge?

The Bear
Old 06-30-2005, 12:33 AM

yes it is
Old 06-30-2005, 12:34 AM

If you are better than 98% why do you mostly lose at this game?

Grow up, act more mature and your play will improve
Old 06-30-2005, 12:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Villain's hand range doesn't really do too well against a raise all-in. Especially if you can weight TT lightly and include AQs.

[/ QUOTE ]

If villain never folds an overpair in this spot, his hand range does very well against a raise all-in.

[/ QUOTE ]
What do you think he thinks OP's hand range is to push the flop?
Old 06-30-2005, 01:23 AM

ok fish
Old 06-30-2005, 09:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
What do you think he thinks OP's hand range is to push the flop?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know villain's opinion of hero, but if I were to put myself in his shoes, it would look like, in this order, a small overpair, a set, 89, or some awfully played T. If hero and I had played together (which they have), I would know that he knows that pushing with a set against me here is usually bad.

Also, if hero pushes flop and his range is exactly AA-TT, 77 and 33, villain still has 44% equity with the range of AA-TT. He has more than enough equity to make the call with his overlay.

The point is, villain should not fold an overpair here, and likely won't. So it's not wise to try to move him off one.

The Bear
Old 06-30-2005, 10:03 AM

Its very possible that villain has a hand like AA-TT, AK. Does anyone think you're giving villain too much credit? I tend to get much more aggressive in live games than online if I have reads on a player. If I sense a player will put me on the goods with a reraise preflop, I'll reraise junk.

Bellagio 2/5NL... limp UTG 45s, few folds, MP raises 25, CO calls 25, folds to me(UTG) I raise to 75, both fold.

Even when I'm in the blinds with a weak player limping in MP, I'll raise 4BBs to isolate him and make him think he has to outdraw me. This is usually a pretty effective play. I like to make these plays for about 3 orbits and tighten back down for a few hours. I've done this, folded 3 straight orbits, made one raise, and people still groan at my raise as they still have me as this super-aggressive player.

Kinda got off-track there, but basically I think its possible villain has JTsuited or even AT-AQs. Am I the only one that doesn't immediately give credit to reraises preflop? In fact, I did this with JJ the other day, but would have done it with 88-TT as well based on the circumstances.