Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-29-2005, 08:58 PM

Default WSOP $2.5k pot limit hand

We're in the 6th level (150/300) about 15 minutes before the dinner break. Some history leading up to the hand...

I'm at a very tight table for about the last two hours. Many pots are unraised and most raises don't get called. I've managed to take a very short-stack and grow it to a healthy stack of 8k+ with mostly steals and betting at flops when it's checked to me.

A few important hands leading up to this hand.

1) I limp from the button with 89s with one other limper, the BB checks. The flop comes 9 high and it's checked to me. I bet the pot and the button who is very tight (I also played with her the previous day and she only shows down premium hands) raises the pot. I fold. She shows a set.

2) I raise the pot from early position with AKs. A mid-position player re-raises the pot. I put him all-in and he calls. We both turn over AK and chop.

3) Next hand from CO I raise the pot again with the same AK and everyone folds. I turn over AK.

4) a few hands later an early position player limps. I raise the pot with a strong hand (don't want to say in case anyone at the table reads this post), a short-stack calls and the early position player re-raises the pot which would commit me if I call. This player has me covered, but he has accumulated his chips (probably around 10k and well above average) before I got to the table. I haven't seen him play many hands at all. While it's not a hard lay down, I decide to really think it through before giving up the hand. I was trying to determine if he was just taking advantage of his tight image and the fact that he saw me lay down a hand to a tight player a few hands back. I'm about to lay down the hand when a 3rd player, not in the hand, calls the clock on me. I'm pretty pissed at this since I haven't delayed even once during the session. I decide to wait for the full time until I fold. Anyway, the guy has to show his hand since the short-stack is forced to call. The guy had AQ which was really odd to me since I had already showed that I was willing to call an all-in with AK in a similar circumstance so he should have assumed that his re-raise had a high likelihood of getting called. He ended up losing the hand because the other guy had 77 and hit a 7 on the flop, but he still had plenty of chips. Also Humberto Brenes comes over and he brags how he got me to lay down the hand (never told him what it was but implied that it was very strong).

Here's the hand in question (finally!):

I'm down to about 5.5k and raise the pot for $1.1k with TT. The same guy (Humberto's buddy) raises the pot. A call will essentially tie me to the hand so it's really an all-in re-raise or fold.

What do you do? Do the actions of the previous hand(s) influence your decision here?
Old 06-29-2005, 09:31 PM

Default Re: WSOP $2.5k pot limit hand

any time I make a big laydown vs. somebody I always end up in the same position again where that player is trying to make me lay down another hand. In the past, I usually call the second time and always run into a better hand. Unless its some donk in a low buy in Sit-n-go.

Being as this is a real tourny, if you can take the heat, I'd lay it down again.

--LoO
Old 06-29-2005, 09:50 PM

hmm, well obviously you called or else you wouldn't want to reveal the hand
Old 06-29-2005, 10:25 PM

The one I didn't reveal the hand in was when I layed it down. It's no big deal but since they called time on me and I took the extra time, I just would rather not reveal the hand. That said, I mentioned it because I think it's a factor in the hand I am asking about; where I did reveal it was TT. It's not important what I did or didn't do. I was just wondering what others would have done, why they would have done it, and if the past history with this player and other hands I had recently played would have factored into your decision.
Old 06-29-2005, 10:51 PM

Call, 2:1 is a good price with TT in this spot. There is no way they could know you folded JJ/QQ before the flop.