Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-29-2005, 12:44 PM

Default Critique Please...AJ in position

2nd level (10/20) of Party NL tourney. Reads are very sketchy so early. Lots of unraised multi-way pots--typical of the very early-going of these events.

In this hand, both you and the cutoff have about T1,100. The BB has T430.

You have A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] OTB. It's folded around to the cutoff, who mini-raises to T40. You flat call the raise (I know that many of you would reraise; if so, why and how much?). The SB folds and the BB calls.

The flop comes 9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]T [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], giving you TP/TK. The BB bets T20 (minimum bet) and the cutoff raises to T50.

What's your play/plan here? Assuming you play, what do you do when the BB reraises all-in?
Old 06-29-2005, 12:49 PM

Default Re: Critique Please...AJ in position

I like the cold call on the flop. I think I go in the tank and fold this though... you've got tons of time
Old 06-29-2005, 01:22 PM

Default Re: Critique Please...AJ in position

Is the CO in the habit of miniraising preflop?

I think I reraise him to 120 to find out where I stand preflop. Assuming it gets heads-up and he checks the flop, I bet 3/4 of the pot no matter what comes.

Given the preflop call and the action to you on the flop, it looks like the CO is just one of those wussy bettors, so his raise to 50 probably indicates a hand that can beat your AJ. Since you might be drawing dead against a straight or practically dead against a set, I get out now, see what he shows down, and put a little note on him that says "raises like a p***y postflop with..." so I make the right move next time.

I also wouldn't be surprised to see the CO show QQ or KK.
Old 06-29-2005, 07:01 PM

Default Re: AJ in position...RESULTS

No one has other thoughts? Oh well.

I raised the cutoff's bet to T125. If he came over the top of me, I planned to fold. However, the BB went all in for his last ~380 or so and the cutoff folded. So it was back to me, getting 2:1 odds with TP/TK against a BB who's betting pattern suggested enormous strength (mini-bet, then all-in after raise and reraise).

However, the odds proved too tempting (and it's possible BB could have a hand like QJ or KJ). So I called and he showed KQ for the nuts. I still have doubts about my play here and think I should have just mucked despite the odds.