Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-28-2005, 08:58 PM

Default How well did I play AQ off in small blind?

Thoughts on all streets appreciated. Especially looking for comments on the river. Opponent was a little loose and a little aggressive.

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is SB with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, Hero calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP2 calls.

Flop: (7 SB) J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, MP2 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP2 folds, Button calls.

Turn: (5.50 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Button calls.

River: (7.50 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 11.50 BB
Old 06-28-2005, 09:11 PM

Default Re: How well did I play AQ off in small blind?

Preflop, I think I would 3-bet the raise from the LAG Button.

The rest of the hand looks good to me.

On the river, I'd expect to be shown A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] or K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] or K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] or 66 or something, but I would call.

LAGs will sometimes make this raise with 88 or AT, especially now that there's a 3-flush on the board.
Old 06-28-2005, 10:42 PM

Is that standard to 3 bet AQ offsuit out of position?
Old 06-28-2005, 11:01 PM

No, I don't think it's exactly standard. (Versus a raise from a tight EP player, for instance, I would just muck.)

My thinking in this case is that the Button is a LAG, there's a good chance your hand is better than his, getting rid of BB wouldn't be such a bad thing (and maybe it'll take a 3-bet to do it), and MP2 may decide to drop out when it's two more back to him, which I wouldn't mind.

Edit: Also, the chances are pretty good that you have the best hand.
Old 06-28-2005, 11:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Is that standard to 3 bet AQ offsuit out of position?

[/ QUOTE ]

Since you described the original raiser as "a little loose and a little aggressive" and he's raising 1 limper on the button, I would be inclined to 3bet. Your AQo will often be better than his hand and getting the lead in the hand somewhat counteracts your positional disadvantage. Also, it's likely to get it headsup which you don't mind, and if it doesn't the limper almost definitely has worse hand than you so it's not terrible for you if he calls. You also don't really want to encourage the BB to come along by only calling.
Old 06-28-2005, 11:09 PM

I can fold this river against a lot of players. Do you have the button's postflop aggression stats?
Old 06-28-2005, 11:34 PM

I'm not a poker tracker expert, but the auto rate has him as a loose aggressive preflop and passive post flop. It's only over 31 hands.
Old 06-29-2005, 07:17 AM

I liked the way you playes it postflop. However I would definitely 3 bet PF if he's loose aggressive. If its a TA, I would just call because you already have a bet in, in any other position with AQ vs a TA raise, I muck. Loose PF raiser, I 3 bet, never just calling.
Old 06-29-2005, 07:21 AM

I think you are putting to much stock in a 31 hand read for 3 betting.

Heck - I had a V$P of 24% last night in 130 hands and I average in the 16% range. I would look like a LAG. LOL

I think the hands looks good and he hit his flush, but ya gotta call on the river BUT - that could be yet another leak since him raising almost certainly tells you he has better the top pair.
Old 06-29-2005, 07:52 AM

I 3 bet here preflop

- Yes, it might be too few hands to put much confident in your read of him as a LAG, but even a solid player would raise with many hands you are beating here on the button with one limp.

You're probably losing on this river but hard not to call.