Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-28-2005, 08:31 PM

Default 1/2 AQ hand, weird line, comments appreciated

So, whilst i am being an ass on the 2+2 table, i was talking to a friend. Because of my degree, i am still at 1/2, only about 6k hands in. Here's one of his hands, with reads and a line. what say you all?

Poker Stars 1/2 limit, 9 handed
Hero is BB, No SB this hand

Hero is dealt A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Preflop: UTG folds, UTG+1 calls, 5 folds, Button raises, Hero Calls, UTG+1 calls.

So PF my friend said he'd just call the PFR. comments?

Flop (Pot 2.5BB) A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Hero checks, UTG+1 checks, Button Bets, Hero Calls, UTG+1 raises, Button calls, Hero calls.

comments on the flop play??

Turn (pot 5.5BB): 6 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Hero Checks, UTG+1 checks, Button Bets, Hero Raises, UTG+1 folds, Button 3-bets, Hero calls

So the turn c/r worked, but the 3-bet stunned him. Best move?

River (Pot 9.25BB): 3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Hero checks, Button Bets, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 11BB

sorry about editing, didnt get HH. hope it's fairly legible. Comments would be welcome, will post results tomorrow.
Old 06-28-2005, 09:07 PM

Default Re: 1/2 AQ hand, weird line, comments appreciated

I say its misplayed on every street.
Old 06-28-2005, 09:08 PM

i'm inclined to agree, but i'm still new to 1/2. I'd rather 3bet PF and lead the flop OR smoothcall PF and checkraise flop.

But what do you think, i'd like comments. He also said he expected to be flamed, so feel free to flame away. I'll be the first to say bad things about his mother.
Old 06-28-2005, 09:15 PM

What was the intention of the calls on the flop?

Why checkraise the turn with no hearts, no 6 and no hope?
Old 06-28-2005, 09:22 PM

If it were me...

Your either way ahead or way behind, as much as I love an A with a great kicker I don't see us waayy ahead here.

I wouldn't comment on the latter streets as I'm not a great post-flop player,so I am interested so hear what the pooh-bah's will have to say. With three hearts somebody is definatley getting odds to chase down to the river, with no heart in your arsenal I don't envy you in this particular situation. Just my thoughts.
Old 06-28-2005, 09:32 PM

I'd raise preflop to make it two back to the limper.

I'd do the same line on the flop.

I'd probably just Ch/Call from there after the [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] didn't hit. Same on the river without a 4th [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Probably weak, I just hate 3-flush boards.
Old 06-28-2005, 09:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

ak, how is this helpful? at least put a little thought into it.

i wouldn't 3-bet in the BB, but i would c/r this flop.
Old 06-29-2005, 02:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

He asked "what do you all say?" and I answered.

I would definitely 3bet this preflop. AQs is a very good multiway hand, and you've got 2 other players coming for the ride.

I would check this flop, see the action, and then raise button's late position bet to try and knock out some single mid/low [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] . If he 3bets me, I check/call the way down typically. If not, I lead the turn, call down if raised.
Old 06-29-2005, 02:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

He asked "what do you all say?" and I answered.

I would definitely 3bet this preflop. AQs is a very good multiway hand, and you've got 2 other players coming for the ride.

I would check this flop, see the action, and then raise button's late position bet to try and knock out some single mid/low [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] . If he 3bets me, I check/call the way down typically. If not, I lead the turn, call down if raised.

[/ QUOTE ]

How do you know that the opening limper will come along for the ride? Your three bet might just scare him off. That might be what you want, but is it?
When you say to raise pf, what is the reasoning behind it? Do you think that you are ahead at this stage and you want to knock out the limper in case he outdraws you? If you don't think that you are ahead, is it not better to call and hope that the flush draw materialises? At this stage you might or might not be ahead, since the range of hands for the pf raiser is quite large, especially if he might be raising to isolate a weak player. On balance I think that you are more likely to be ahead than behind, so I would be inclined to raise, hoping to knock out the limper and take on the button.
As it was played, there are two opponents for the flop. You have top pair, but no heart. I agree with checking, and raising if the button bets. This seems to give the best chance of knocking out the limper if he has a low to medium heart.
The three bet on the turn is ominous to put it mildly (and I wouldn't have been check raising at this point). I don't think button has a six or he wouldn't have raised. The way you have played it, he doesn't know your Ace kicker is as strong as it is, so he might be three betting with AJ or A10, with or without a flush draw. This will be the case often enough to justify calling it down although I expect to lose more often than I win.
Old 06-29-2005, 06:15 AM

Default Results

thanks for the comments, I will forward the link to my friend and see what he thinks; I'll post his comments later.

He basically said this was the one standout badly played hand in a day of 4-tabling 1/2 full. That said, I am a bit lost with button's style too.

I think I'd smoothcall PF, checkraise the flop, lead the turn and call down if raised there.

Button must have been on a mission to knock out the BB, as he was holding 66 for the PFR and turned quads.

Thanks for your insights; I apologise for my absence from the boards this year, but the degree is pretty intense.

All the best,
Pete Harris

edited to change title