Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-28-2005, 07:41 PM

Default Re: Poker fad has reached its peak

I seen a thing on HBO Real Sports on how effects, such as problem gambling, of the poker craze wont be really felt until 10-15 years from now.

So some of the fish that are in college now that never get good in 10 years will be blowing their kids college fund instead of money they get from mowing lawns and lemonade stands.
Old 06-28-2005, 07:55 PM

Reality TV shows are still around.
Old 06-28-2005, 08:51 PM

My favorite:

Q: How many BA students does it take to screw in a lightbulb.

A: One, but he gets a full class credit for it.
Old 06-28-2005, 11:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I seen a thing on HBO Real Sports on how effects, such as problem gambling, of the poker craze wont be really felt until 10-15 years from now.

So some of the fish that are in college now that never get good in 10 years will be blowing their kids college fund instead of money they get from mowing lawns and lemonade stands.

[/ QUOTE ]

They have to earn a kid's college fund before they can blow it.

KO
Old 06-28-2005, 11:58 PM

You'll know poker has peaked when the number of WSOP entrants is less than the previous year. fwiw
Old 06-29-2005, 12:08 AM

With World Poker Tour 2k6, and Stacked (or whatever that Daniel N. game is) coming out soon, I don't see the poker craze will die down soon. Software developers are targeting kids who in ten years will be sitting around giving money away at low limit tables.
Old 06-29-2005, 01:14 AM

The problem with ESPN and FOX sports or whatever else channel that poker is on is that its being beaten into the ground. These networks are all taking advantage of poker while its hot and are overxposing it big time IMO. Whenever something comes on this strongly and takes the public by storm it usually loses its staying power.

Though i thought (wished) that the whole reality tv thing wouldnt last as long as it has and thats bigger than ever. Hopefully im wrong and that poker will not burn out in the public mind.

I think that when the WSOP airs again this summer that will give a spark again to the game.
Old 06-29-2005, 01:32 AM

I think poker is a long way from dead. When all these college students get jobs, thats just more money going back into the tables.

Also I don't think poker is over exsposed. It may seem like it to you because you are a part of it and you look out for it. But to my mom or old neighbor, they see it every once in a while. My mom watches a lot of TV and she still calls me up everytime she sees it on TV like it isn't on every night!
Old 06-29-2005, 01:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
That depends, does your idea of a decent job include the phrase "would you like fries with that?"

(For the record, I have a BA and have turned down a couple of decent jobs because I'm a worthless layabout at heart)

But the BA jokes have to be made.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's going to be in physics from a very good school with an excellent reputation. (Amherst College fwiw). I'm not worried.

-SmileyEH
Old 06-29-2005, 04:25 AM

The difference between Poker on Reality TV on tv is that if you watch Poker and like it, you can easily do it yourself. There is virtually no entry barrier.

If you compare it to the tennis craze we had 15-25 years ago in Germany (Becker winning Wimbledon -> lots of Tennis on tv -> lots of people beginning to play tennis), Poker has a lot more going for it: a) You do not need any fitness, b) entry it is cheaper than tennis, c) you reach subjective success very early (everybody will win a big pot here and there).
There are still a lot of untapped markets. In Europe, you have a seriuos market maybe in the UK and Scandinavia but the rest is widely uncharted territory.
Online Poker will continue to grow for the next 5 years at least.