Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-28-2005, 12:42 PM

Default Multitabling Questions

I'm still fairly new to online poker, been taking it pretty slow over the last 9 months, I'm a pretty studious dude, so I've done most of the 'required' reading, and I finally felt ready to start playing more than one table, I don't have a mega load of hands due to me only playing one table, but I am winning comfortably at my current measly level of .5/1 - I'd like to pose a couple of questions about it to the many here who have been multitabling for years on several tables concerning how they started doing it, growing pains when trying to add more tables that they had that might be avoided etc -

One obvious issue, is making mistakes while rushed, last night for example when reviewing Pokertracker, I realized that I had indeed folded AA preflop at some point in my session. I don't plan to [censored] that up anytime soon again -

besides that boneheaded play that obviously shows I need a little more focus, I feel that playing multiple tables has actually made me play more desicively, and over all more aggresive, better poker. I could also just be running well, but my agg. stats in poker tracker are inceasing to a level I have wanted them at.

Questions I have now that I've embarked down this road -

-Do most of the multitablers have monitors that can easily display 3 or 4 tables at once, or is it standard to have several 'layers' of tables that pop up? I have a work issued laptop and I cannot fit more than one full table on my screen even at the highest resoultion.

-How is the transition from something like 3 to 4 tables compare with first trying 2 or 3 tables for the first time multitabling? Obviously there is a critical mass at some point, but once you become proficient at playing 3 tables for example, is adding a 4th difficult?

- When moving up levels, would it be advised to play just 1 table, then add another once you are comfortable, then another etc - or have most of you who might for instance be 4 tabling 2/4 and are ready to go to 3/6 - just jump right to 4 tables of 3/6?

- And finally, are there any sites that are particularly multitable friendly - I currently play at Empire and Paradise, so far, I def. like Empire better for managing multiple tables, wondered if there were any even better.
Old 06-28-2005, 01:07 PM

Default Re: Multitabling Questions

are you playing limit or NL ?

I'm pretty green as well, and so far i've had horrible results from multitabling NL games. Partly, (as i've recently learned), because i had way too small of bankroll, and because i do much better when i have a good read on who i'm playing with. I find it impossible to keep track of hands when i'm not involved, which is a huge disadvantage.

I might suggest that when multitabling, start with one table at your current level, preferrably lower, and once you have a good feel for who you're playing against(notes), add another table that's a much lower limit .10-.25, this should really help you get a feel for multitabling without taking a huge bite out of your bankroll.

If you think the swings are bad playing one table, they can be devastating when multitabling.

good luck bro-
Old 06-28-2005, 01:34 PM

should have specified, I am playing limit - I can imagine how NL would pose some serious challenges - last night I cost myself about 9 BBs by folding those aces, but in NL, a false click of the mouse could cost you a lot more
Old 06-28-2005, 01:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]

-Do most of the multitablers have monitors that can easily display 3 or 4 tables at once, or is it standard to have several 'layers' of tables that pop up? I have a work issued laptop and I cannot fit more than one full table on my screen even at the highest resoultion.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know about most, but I personally wouldn't want to multitable unless I could display all of the tables at once. Two layered tables probably wouldn't be much of a problem, but I think four would be a real pain.

If you're going to do this though, I suggest getting TweakUI from Microsoft. With TweakUI you can then set up your system so that scrolling over a window will activate it (x-mouse), as opposed to having to "click" the window in order to activate it.
Old 06-28-2005, 02:25 PM

if you can afford it, i would also suggest getting a 17"+ additional monitor, i bought a nice ViewSonic 17" flatscreen off of ebay for little over $100 because it has a very small dark spot in the corner of the screen. I've noticed it twice in the 5 months i've had it. I think i saved about $200, maybe less, i don't know. It's made a world of difference not only for poker, but for just about anything where you'd like two+ windows open or you just want better resolution.

And yeah, limit is definately better for multitabling, not only is reading other players less important but mistakes are less important.

I still recommend getting to know who the suckers are at one table before adding a second, and so on.
Old 06-28-2005, 02:34 PM

gametime+ or playerview are a must. When I moved/move up limits I gradually replace one of my 4 tables to the limit, then another and so on. Get a monitor w/ 1600x1200, everyone loves the dell 2001FP including me but you can get a cheaper CRT to start out like I did. After a while you'll be 4 tabling in no time and anything less than 4 will be boring.

It pretty much just takes practice and conditioning to multitable succesfully.
Old 06-28-2005, 02:51 PM

I play 8 NL tables at once, 4 on empire 4 on party. Syncmaster 21.3Ts (abour $600 at buy.com) are great monitors for 4 hands, they run the 1600x1200 so you can get 4 full tables with zero overlap.

I use 2 21.3ts for games and a third flat 19 for poker tracker etc.

I'm at 320k hands now, I started at one table, went to 2, etc. I stopped at 4 for a long time, but my win rate per hour started dropping, even with 4 tables I was getting bored and playing hands I shouldn't play. The thing I've noticed is my win rate goes way up playing more tables. I don't get bored and play stupid hands, it's easier to wait for the right condtions in NL if you're playing 8 tables.
Old 06-28-2005, 03:25 PM

which level?(max buyin)
Old 06-28-2005, 03:42 PM

I'm checking out that Dell 2001FP 20.1-inch right now, looks like there are some deals to be had out there - thanks for recommendation -
Old 06-28-2005, 08:48 PM

I know alot of players on here 8-table but I still think it's pretty sick.

Yeah I'd also like to know hich limit and are those 8 tables 6max or full? I'd imagine they are full ring or tourny.