Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-28-2005, 06:12 PM

Default A9d HU Against UTG Raise

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed)
Villain is UTG with 35/30/27, PR 12 and AF 2.07 after about 200 hands

converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Button calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls.

(should I cap this from the BB? always? or just sometimes depending on game texture and opponent?

Flop: (6.40 SB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, Button calls, Hero calls.

(check raise this flop?)

Turn: (4.70 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, Button folds, Hero folds.

(Since I did not cr the flop, I decide to lead the turn. However, his re-raise screams overpair. Should I call this down all the way or is this an auto-fold after the re-raise? I'm confused about this hand and I feel I played it badly. I feel a better line would have been to cr the flop and cc all the way down.)

Final Pot: 7.70 BB
Old 06-28-2005, 06:14 PM

Default Re: A9d HU Against UTG Raise

Just c/c all the way down IMO. A lot of people overplay AK and AQ etc.
Old 06-28-2005, 06:20 PM

Preflop: Fine
Flop: I bet out hoping the preflop raiser will raise, which more aggro players do with 2 overcards and force button to call 2 cold.
Turn/River: I call down, unless UTG checks through the turn in which case I bet a non A river.
Old 06-28-2005, 06:30 PM

Of course, it depends on your opponent. What is the range of hands your opponent would raise with UTG?

I would probably not raise pre-flop, especially with another player in the hand. I might three-bet a maniac if it were folded to me.

On the flop, I would go for the check-raise. I would also consider betting out, planning to three-bet if raised against certain opponents.

Having check-called the flop, I would consider check-raising the turn. His reraise could easily be overcards with a flush draw, 77, or a player who thinks you are trying to buy the pot. You may even be up against a player you have outkicked. Most certainly, it is a player who does not think it likely you have a 6. It of course, depends on your opponent. I know some opponents who wouldn't raise here unless they could beat trip 6's. I know others who would cap with AK flush draw. I would obviously play it differently against either opponent.
Old 06-28-2005, 06:52 PM

I obviously don't have that many hands against this opponent. But I did see him: raising KQo and KJo from the MP and CO (which is solid), cold calling with suited connectors out of position (where his looseness comes from), cr the flop with semi-bluffs but then checking the rest of the way uimproved and finally value betting decently. He was loose but not terrible post-flop.

I see him raising UTG: 77-and up, AK-AQo, AKs-KQs, with a PR of 10% (original post had this stat submitted in error).