Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-28-2005, 06:23 PM

Default Re: Does this make any sense?

[/ QUOTE ]Agreed. Anyone else not like the turn raise that much?

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you putting either player on something that beats Hero?
Old 06-28-2005, 06:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Agreed. Anyone else not like the turn raise that much?

[/ QUOTE ]

Why not? BB bets, UTG+2 calls, this is the same as the flop action. The only plausible hand that got there was 54 and 77, and if anybody just made two pair (unless it's A7) this is a good thing for us.

At this point, we can put BB on spades, Ax, an OESD, or a PP. UTG+2 has been pretty passive, so he is probably drawing.

I still think we have the best hand, although the LRR of UTG+2 is a little unsettling. And the raise is always good, when you are going to fill up on the river. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 06-28-2005, 06:38 PM

I think you should get your money in on the flop.
The way you played it, I would count the 7 as a blank too. But if BB still bets the turn after you raised the flop, then you can just call it down.
Old 06-28-2005, 06:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

A larger pot actually.

-SmileyEH

[/ QUOTE ]

AAHH! Because they would be getting correct odds on a draw anyways with a large pot, so you might as well wait for a blank on the turn, then your equity goes up. Thank you, I needed that to make it click.

[/ QUOTE ]

to make this issue a bit more clear:

wait with a raise until the turn if
a) you can't protect your hand on the flop but you will be able to do so on the turn (that's especially important if your hand is vulnerable and the pot is large). that's not the case here because you can't protect your hand, neither on the flop nor on the turn.
or
b) your equity edge is so small that you wan't to have a look at the next card and then decide whether to fold or to push a now increased edge. this is not the case too because your edge is probably pretty big here.
or
c) the pot is small, your chance to win very big and the risk that you would lose your opponents with a raise on the flop and there is a decent chance that someone will make a bluff or a second best hand on the turn and pay you off. (obviously not the case here either)
or
d) you want to make some kind of very sophisticated play. that is definitely no good idea in this situation.
Old 06-28-2005, 06:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]Agreed. Anyone else not like the turn raise that much?

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you putting either player on something that beats Hero?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't mind the turn raise so much but I was very surprised at the 3bet. It seems unlikely that either player would have precisely the hand that makes a str8, and if one of them did, I'd think BB would be the more likely candidate to hold it, and judging from the way the hand played out, he may well have. It would be very interesting to know what MP-2 had in his hand, and what he thought you had when he folded to your river bet.

I also think Hero should have raised the flop, primarily as a value bet.

bill