Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-28-2005, 06:15 PM

Default Re: Good time for a squeeze play?

The more I think about it I think that betting half your stack on the flop is the best play provided you will call if he pushes the rest all-in. It does show a lot of strength. This play probably does have a higher chance of getting the opponent to fold a mid pocket pair, then just open pushing. Hopefully with this play the opponent will for sure fold hands such as AQo and AJs.
Old 06-28-2005, 06:26 PM

Default Against a small subset of players, maybe

[ QUOTE ]
EDIT: Apparently you we're in the SB instead of the button. I'd bet half the pot (aka half your stack) and be prepared to call off my stack and pray for the river. A thinking opponent is gonna put the brakes on real quick to somebody who bets half their stack into a pot bigger than their stack after they raised 1/3rd of it preflop.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you're going to pursue this pot on the Flop, i agree the half-stack size bet would be better than All-in versus some tough players, since it looks like you're begging for a call. Unless i have evidence to the contrary, i'm not going to give most online players that much credit.

However, appearing so strong (KK or AA) that you're begging for a call is somewhat inconsistent with the size of your PF raise, which looked like you wanted people to fold. If you had QQ or JJ, you'd probably want him to fold here and would presumably make a larger bet.

I can't really say what i'd do if i were CO, since i wouldn't CC the "aggressive Donk" in this spot. Raise to isolate or fold.
Old 06-28-2005, 06:35 PM

Default Re: Against a small subset of players, maybe

[ QUOTE ]
If you're going to pursue this pot on the Flop, i agree the half-stack size bet would be better than All-in versus some tough players, since it looks like you're begging for a call. Unless i have evidence to the contrary, i'm not going to give most online players that much credit.

However, appearing so strong (KK or AA) that you're begging for a call is somewhat inconsistent with the size of your PF raise, which looked like you wanted people to fold. If you had QQ or JJ, you'd probably want him to fold here and would presumably make a larger bet.

I can't really say what i'd do if i were CO, since i wouldn't CC the "aggressive Donk" in this spot. Raise to isolate or fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

Very good points. If this were later in the tournament I would agree. Early on, I will often CC an agro donk from CO or button. The 3 players left to act were all pretty tight, so there isnt much reason to raise to isolate. Also, I think there is a very real possibility that villan had a hand like QJs, KQs. Hands that will play well against a Lag with position, but no necessarily hands you want to play a huge pot with.

Also, my bet preflop was the UB standard "bet pot". There are very few players who raise amounts outside of this (I am usually one of them, but really didnt want a call here)
Old 06-28-2005, 07:05 PM

Wow.

What a donkey. I put you all in whether I have a hand or not.
Old 06-28-2005, 07:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Wow.

What a donkey. I put you all in whether I have a hand or not.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the insight
Old 06-28-2005, 07:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I might be a little concerned that CO is trapping MP+1

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, but I thought he would reraise with hands like TT-QQ, so that limits his trapping hands. There is ALWAYS the possibility that the CC is trapping when you run the squeeze play, so thats not really an arguement against the play. Thats like saying not to ever resteal b/c raiser could have a good hand.

[ QUOTE ]
A-9 is not going to play well after the flop so I think a push is better than a raise and looks more transparently like a steal. (more likely to get called). By not well after the flop I mean that hero will have to follow with a continuation bet giving CO some pretty good implied odds to call the PF raise.
A Bunch of CO's range has you dominated.

[/ QUOTE ]

He only has great implied odds on a PP. He should give me credit for a hand. I have only raised once preflop, showing AKs. So, hands like AJ-AQ have horrible reverse implied odds against my range, and AK isnt great.

So, on this flop (if the Villan called for your idea of implied odds) the only hands he can reasoably call me with are PPs. Calling with AQ-AJ is a horrible play on his part. Yes he is correct if he makes it, but try posting this hand with AJ and advocte calling a 600 chip bet with AJ. I played the hand the same way almost every player will play a big pocket pair.