Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-28-2005, 02:06 PM

Default Re: AK unimproved in big pot

[ QUOTE ]
Why are we betting this flop?

[/ QUOTE ]

check fold? check call, check fold turn unimproved?

The way I see it, I'm calling a bet on this flop, so why not bet it? The less players to the turn the better chance I have at winning the pot, so would going for a checkraise on the flop be better than betting?
Old 06-28-2005, 02:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
would going for a checkraise on the flop be better than betting?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is a stupid question. If I check, I don't know for sure where the bet will come from, so who knows if I will be able to face the field with 2-bets. I hate being OOP! [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]
Old 06-28-2005, 02:44 PM

But that's where being flexible is helpful.

You check the flop. If there's a bet from close behind you, you call (possibly setting up a turn C/R if you hit the right card) If there's a bet and a raise behind you, you can fold (if you think it's right), not being "tied" to the pot. If there's a bet from last to act (not uncommon that the last to act will bet in a horrible steal attempt or under the misguided notion of "No Free Cards!"), you can raise and possibly knock out some of the middle players. If there's no bet, you get a free card, which might both help you improve AND if a blank falls on the turn it allows you to lead out and represent a missed check-raise on the flop. Plus also, pot odds for a lot of hands have gone out the window with the double bet size.

I'm not saying checking the flop is right, I'm just saying you can check the flop without being locked into a check-raise, instead deciding to act based on the action behind you.
Old 06-28-2005, 03:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is a stupid question. If I check, I don't know for sure where the bet will come from, so who knows if I will be able to face the field with 2-bets. I hate being OOP! [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I just finished rereading the SSHE section on 'Protecting your hand' and your hand and position is similar.

By leading the flop here everyone is getting correct odds to call. Other variables come into play naturally, but they advise waiting until the turn and going for a CR. They used a KK hand and a flop raise (which they advise is incorrect) which builds a pot large enough you can no longer protect it as everyone is getting correct odds to call to the River.

Being OOP is tough and my AK's seem to hit me when I'm in the blinds or UTG and I find myself in the same shape as you. Check out the SSHE section again and see if it would apply.
Old 06-28-2005, 03:34 PM

Location: I\'m a FAG:Frugal Aggressive(Not that there is anything wrong with that)

fold turn.
Old 06-28-2005, 04:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure what I thought I saw on the flop, but I didn't notice the board paired. I like the flop bet better now...my bad.
Old 06-28-2005, 04:49 PM

Final Pot (16.5 BB)

utg+1 shows A7o (no heart) and MHIG.
Old 06-28-2005, 05:14 PM

If you are checking the turn I think you need to fold. I'd rather lead it again - I think your hand is best a good percentage of the time.

-SmileyEH