Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-25-2005, 04:46 AM

Default Re: [Tell] Nodding thier heads

[ QUOTE ]
A "read" (other than huge behavioral "ticks" by the most aweful of players) is never a stone cold lock. They are a fluid ongoing hypothesis that either get stronger or weaker over many hands and sessions.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
When I am confident in my read and someone turns over what I expected, I sometimes nod my head.
When someone does what I expected them to do, even if they don't show their hand, I will sometimes nod my head.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well put. I observed it again several times tonight and I am beginning to think it generally means "you did what I expected you to do", or "well played". But you are right, it can mean other things in different contexts. By no means is any tell totally reliable but I am trying to make use of every peice of information I can.
Old 06-25-2005, 06:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Scratching your ass could mean your weak, you're strong, your confused, you've got hemorrhoids, who knows.

[/ QUOTE ]
Scratching your ass usually means your ass itches. This is very reliable.

But nodding could mean many things.
Old 06-27-2005, 08:05 PM

i catch myself wanting to nod when someone calls I rather they not. I think this is one that definitely could mean different things from different players, but it does come up fairly frequently.
Old 06-28-2005, 01:01 AM

When I catch a player in my home game nodding his head I tell him to wake the f up.

Personally, I shake my head when my opponents fold to my bluff. I never nod my head but logically if I did it would probably mean either my bluff didn't work or I had the goods when they folded.
Old 06-28-2005, 03:40 PM

In most cases, nodding means "That's what I thought." The nodding player is confirming something to himself -- but you still have to deduce what he is confirming to himself based on the situation.

For this reason, I try to look puzzled and confused at all times. Its not too hard. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 06-28-2005, 03:54 PM

i nod all the time so who knows what it means. i bet out, guy calls i nod and say "man i wonder what you have, what would you JUST call me with?" i bet out, guy folds, i nod my head.

guy bets out, i reraise, he reraises..i nod my head, i chat it up with him/her...ni han sir i fold and nod my head.

in my particular case, it means jack ish other than i am thinking. with others? totally depends on the person and the situation.
Old 06-28-2005, 04:14 PM

I have come across this tell time and time again. In my experience it doesn't seem to have any consistent definition. Very player specific, but once I have figured what it means of a particular player it usually becomes rather reliable.

Usually exibited when Villian makes a bet and is called. I think fish do it to seem as if "you called, yup I know what you have", they know exactly whats going on and you can't trap or fool them. Like I said player specific though.