Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-11-2003, 11:50 AM

Default Rollin\', rollin\', rollin\' on the river...

Happy little $2/$4 online game with the usual number of loosies and others who are berating the loosies.

I'm UTG+2 and find J [img]/forums/images/icons/club.gif[/img] J [img]/forums/images/icons/heart.gif[/img] . UTG limps, UTG+1 limps and I raise it up, folded all the way around to the SB, who calls along with the BB and the limpers. 5 to the flop...

J [img]/forums/images/icons/spade.gif[/img] 6 [img]/forums/images/icons/diamond.gif[/img] K [img]/forums/images/icons/spade.gif[/img]

Not bad, BB comes out betting, one limper calls, and I raise it again (wanting to charge the flush draws)...SB calls two cold, and BB and limper call...4 to the turn

T [img]/forums/images/icons/diamond.gif[/img]

Checked to me, I bet and we lose the BB but the rest call. 3 to the river...

Q [img]/forums/images/icons/club.gif[/img]

Ugh...no flush, but now anyone with an A or a 9 has the straight to beat me. It's checked to me, and I wasn't sure what to do here. After some thought, I decided that only hands that beat me are going to call, and adding in the possibility of a river checkraise (I hate calling river checkraises!), I decided to check behind.

Was my thought process correct, or should I go ahead a fire out on the river as a value bet against these two relatively typical low limit loose/passive opponents?

Thanks for the feedback,
Apoc
Old 06-11-2003, 12:15 PM

Default Re: Rollin\', rollin\', rollin\' on the river...

Hi Apoc--

You and 2 others on the river, your flopped set is looking really bad [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img].

Was my thought process correct, or should I go ahead a fire out on the river as a value bet against these two relatively typical low limit loose/passive opponents?

There's no way I'd bet here. When you described LL loosies, one of the first things that pops into my head is Ax, which happens to kill you here. I doubt that a single bet would even get an ignorant straight to fold. I would check it through and expect to lose...
Old 06-11-2003, 12:20 PM

You can't bet here. This is a case that the only hands that will call, have you beat. Check it through and hope.
Old 06-11-2003, 12:20 PM

Thanks for the feedback, Rock...

Some Ax trash is what I was worried about too. As I've thought about it more, though, I've begun to believe that the LL loosie would bet the river if they had the straight. When it gets checked to me, I feel like there may be more of a value bet here. Don't know if I could pull the trigger if it happened again, but maybe. What do you think?

Apoc
Old 06-11-2003, 01:46 PM

Some Ax trash is what I was worried about too. As I've thought about it more, though, I've begun to believe that the LL loosie would bet the river if they had the straight. When it gets checked to me, I feel like there may be more of a value bet here. Don't know if I could pull the trigger if it happened again, but maybe. What do you think?

I don't think this would be a value bet at any level for the reason you gave in your first post: only better hands will call.

Take care--
Old 06-13-2003, 06:02 PM

Default Results

In case you were interested...

SB had Q [img]/forums/images/icons/spade.gif[/img] 8 [img]/forums/images/icons/spade.gif[/img] for the flush draw, making a pair of queens on the river.

UTG+1 had KTo for two pair on the turn

So I managed to drag a reasonably sized pot. Maybe too results-oriented here, but I can't help but wonder if there wasn't still a value bet to have on the river here after both players checked to me. The advice here is undoubtedly right, though, that only better hands will call (but I think the KT guy may have called me down).

Thanks,
Apoc
Old 06-13-2003, 06:53 PM

Betting is suicide in this instance in a 2-4 game. Check it down. If you win, great, if not the runner, runner strikes again.