Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-28-2005, 02:45 PM

Default continuation bets and turn bluffs

I play 0.25/0.5 and 0.5/1 at PP. Situation: AK, JJ, QQ ,or KK. I often make a preflop 3x raise. When the flop misses me, or comes with overcards to my pocket pairs I will usually make a continuation bet of 50-60% of the pot. I'm confident this is a +EV play against one opponent, maybe two opponents, however, I'm very unsure about how to play the turn against one caller? Sometimes I continue betting the turn and river and bluff-off a lot of chips. Any clear thoughts out there? Also, is there a way to get stats on this w/ poker tracker (e.g., a filter to whittle down the work)?
Thanks.
Old 06-28-2005, 03:00 PM

Default Re: continuation bets and turn bluffs

mix it up. figure out how often your opponents bluff call the flop and bluff raise the turn. how often do you bet the flop after raising preflop, how often do you fire another barrel. how often does the above happen when you're in position, when you're out of position. how do they play versus a pre flop raiser with top pair, second pair, low pocket pair. how would you play AA, a set, a flush draw in that situation. learn to read the board to gauge whether or not there is a good chance that villain is drawing. if he is drawing it will be unlikely that he will fold the turn but maybe you can make him fold by betting the river instead. read the dynamics happening between you and the other players and understand that there is no one optimal line to take in every instance.
Old 06-28-2005, 03:00 PM

Raise more PF, bet bigger on the flop. Unimproved and raised, fold. Unimproved with callers, check/fold it through unless you're getting odds.
Old 06-28-2005, 03:23 PM

I really keep track of my opponents. You want to be sure that your continuation bet is always the same relative size. I don't usually bet full pot, I'll almost always make it around 2/3....this lets you move it a little bit and not get noticed.......one of the biggest online tells from the majority of the really bad PP players is the variance in their continuation bets. They'll bet $8 into a $9 pot when it hit them, but they will bet $3 when it missed...they are basically begging me to take the pot away from them, which I do. Some fish will call your flop bet no matter what, but they will fold to a turn bet...if this is the case I'll fire another barrel...if they won't call a flop with nothing, then I check the turn if I have nothing. Also it is important to mix up your play sometimes....sometimes I will check a flop even though I have a hand because I don't want them thinking that I always bet, no matter what and get them to start calling me down with a pair of 2's when i have ace high.

You mentioned that you bet 50-60% of the flop.....do you always do this even when it hits you? As long as you do, it's ok, but this is at the low end of what I think you need to be betting. If you are betting full pot when the flop hits you, I don't like it.
Old 06-28-2005, 03:52 PM

I generally make the same bet (1/2-2/3 pot) whether I hit or not (with exceptions, e.g., to protect from drawing flops, e.g., Ts Js x.

It sounds like you and the previous replier are playing close attention to your opponents. I assume you are only playing 1 table? I usually play 3. Perhaps I should play fewer tables and work on improving.
Old 06-28-2005, 04:07 PM

i usually play 2, but one is full ring limit so i have to pay less attention...either way it's easy to pay attention to your opponent betting patterns....anytime i see someone lead for less than half the pot I try to see how the plan plays out...does someone take it away...then I know they lead weak when it misses.....do they make weak bets, then raise...then I know they are tricky....if that same player later makes a full pot continuation bet when it hits them, I know they lead small when weak, big when strong, and I adjust, take notes and play accordingly...it still doesn't take that much effort to pay attention even when multitabling. I also play 6 max nl so it's easier to watch your opponents than in full ring.