Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-28-2005, 01:06 AM

Default Re: Live 10/20 NL Bellagio Hand

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
At least it sounds like you're outta town before I get in.

[/ QUOTE ]

hee hee, even if I was still in town bro, I'd get up from the table as soon as I saw your ass in the poker room....

[ QUOTE ]
and it sounds like you were running good

[/ QUOTE ]

I was the first night.....and then I lost to a one-outer in TWO different big pots and rethought that notion.....

good luck in the main event man....

[/ QUOTE ]

I blame Matt.
Old 06-28-2005, 01:30 AM

Please explain the logic behind your preflop raise to $60 on the button after TWO limpers.

Seems like you should be raising to $120 or so.
Old 06-28-2005, 03:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Please explain the logic behind your preflop raise to $60 on the button after TWO limpers.

[/ QUOTE ]

simple....whatever raise amount I choose at a particular time, I like to raise that same amount with a wide range of hands - as opposed to always raising to x with connectors and y with pairs, etc. - which I often see people do and it makes it much easier to put them on hands.....what amount I choose depends almost entirely on stack sizes.....in this particular hand, if I'm gonna make it $100 or $120 to go, then I need to be doing that with a lot of different hands - and with $2k behind in a 10/20 game (which is not all that deep) and two limpers I'd much rather raise to $60 and have the pot be ~10-15% of my remaining stack than ~20-25%.......when playing in a game that's got any kind of stack depth (which most games I play in do), most hands that will call $60 will call $100 - especially if I'm raising a lot of different hands.....so unless I have aces and can somehow get a BIG preflop pot (~40%) - which is not going to happen most of the time - I'd rather have the pot be small and just play postflop poker as opposed to making the pot an uncomfortable size and having it lead to tougher decisions.....
Old 06-28-2005, 03:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I was the first night.....and then I lost to a one-outer in TWO different big pots and rethought that notion.....

[/ QUOTE ]

I blame Matt.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah that sounds right....Matt's fault for the cards, probably Matt's fault for the sh!tty airline company that Southwest is, and likely Matt's fault that the Mets will once again probably finish below .500 and miss the playoffs.....

but then again, didn't we have drinks with YOU right after that first night?......hmmm......
Old 06-28-2005, 03:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I blame Matt.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah that sounds right....Matt's fault for the cards, probably Matt's fault for the sh!tty airline company that Southwest is, and likely Matt's fault that the Mets will once again probably finish below .500 and miss the playoffs.....

but then again, didn't we have drinks with YOU right after that first night?......hmmm......

[/ QUOTE ]

I plead the fifth
Old 06-28-2005, 12:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

simple....whatever raise amount I choose at a particular time, I like to raise that same amount with a wide range of hands - as opposed to always raising to x with connectors and y with pairs, etc. - which I often see people do and it makes it much easier to put them on hands.....what amount I choose depends almost entirely on stack sizes.....in this particular hand, if I'm gonna make it $100 or $120 to go, then I need to be doing that with a lot of different hands - and with $2k behind in a 10/20 game (which is not all that deep) and two limpers I'd much rather raise to $60 and have the pot be ~10-15% of my remaining stack than ~20-25%.......when playing in a game that's got any kind of stack depth (which most games I play in do), most hands that will call $60 will call $100 - especially if I'm raising a lot of different hands.....so unless I have aces and can somehow get a BIG preflop pot (~40%) - which is not going to happen most of the time - I'd rather have the pot be small and just play postflop poker as opposed to making the pot an uncomfortable size and having it lead to tougher decisions.....

[/ QUOTE ]

The plan of raising to $60 seems to guarantee a multi-way pot. You will certainly run into sticky situations when the flop comes down A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] and your bets face resistance.