Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-28-2005, 03:45 AM

Default Win by not losing

My game of choice is Party $25NL and been playing that for a few months now. I have played 5000 hands and my BB/100 floats between +/-3, so basically I am pretty breakeven. MY $VPIP is 27%, PFR 12% postflop aggresion 2.2. I think my stats are pretty good, but its getting away from some hands which I think I fall down on.

One thing I have noticed now though is that I can take consistant small pots and the occasional large win and build up a nice roll, then I will play some real silly hands and lose a huge amount - prime example yesterday I lost 3 buy-ins in the space of 90mins [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Its beginning to occur to me that the road to riches lies in your skills of avoiding losses (which translates to only getting your money in the pot when you have the best of it).

I think my trouble sometimes is that I am looking for the big win on every hand I play. The big hands will come over time, patience is key.

I think my whole attitude needs to change when I take my seat at the table. Instead of playing for the big win on everyhand, if I concentrate on NOT putting money in the pot when I dont have an edge, the wins will take care of themselves (obviously I need to extract what I can with big hands but you get my drift).

You cant expect to win a big hand every rotation (after all 10bb/hr is only $5 at $25NL!) - PATIENCE, PATIENCE, PATIENCE!!
Old 06-28-2005, 05:36 AM

Default Re: Win by not losing

Sorry should have also added that I play solely 6-max.
Any opinions on my thoughts?
Old 06-28-2005, 05:49 AM

the ability to fold helps immensely
Old 06-28-2005, 05:58 AM

I share your sentiments.
I have just started out playing NL,
and my biggest leak by far is not getting away from my "big" hands.
Old 06-28-2005, 06:02 AM

I totally agree that the ability to laydown i vitally important. Regarding your win rate however, not much can be said about your winrate after 5000 hands. To give an example, if your standard deviation per 100 hands is 45 (this seems fairly typical: mine was higher at 50s but is lower at 100s) then at 0BB/100 (your current winrate?), your 68% and 95% confidence intervals are +/-6.36PTBB/100 and +/-12.73PTBB/100 respectively. So you could be a solid winning or consistently losing player!
Old 06-28-2005, 06:04 AM

How do you determine your standard deviation?
Old 06-28-2005, 06:12 AM

If you have pokertracker, in the ring game player statistics, go to Session Notes. Click on More Detail near the top right and it should give you your standard deviation per hour and per 100 hands near the bottom of the pop-up window. You can filter it to only look at a particular limit by selecting it via the preferences tab.
Old 06-28-2005, 06:19 AM

thank you
Old 06-28-2005, 06:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I totally agree that the ability to laydown i vitally important. Regarding your win rate however, not much can be said about your winrate after 5000 hands. To give an example, if your standard deviation per 100 hands is 45 (this seems fairly typical: mine was higher at 50s but is lower at 100s) then at 0BB/100 (your current winrate?), your 68% and 95% confidence intervals are +/-6.36PTBB/100 and +/-12.73PTBB/100 respectively. So you could be a solid winning or consistently losing player!

[/ QUOTE ]

Interesting, somedays I feel like a solid player and others I don't lol! If i can get away from trying to win with marginal hands, and trying to bluff unbluffable players due to impatience, hopefully I can keep myself in the solid player category!