Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: What sushi roll should I try?
Philadelphia roll (avocado cream cheese, fish roe & smoked salmon) 6 17.65%
Crab tempura roll (deep fried crabmeat & cucumber inside) 14 41.18%
Salmon skin roll (broiled salmon & scallions) 5 14.71%
California roll (avocado, crabmeat, cucumber & fish roe) 9 26.47%
Boston roll (avocado, lettuce, mayo & shrimp) 0 0%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-28-2005, 01:21 AM

Default Re: How many of you people actually have real jobs?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Does being a grad student count? It's almost like a job.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha, he he he he, ha ha ha ha haw haw he ha ha ha!!!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

???

Being a *serious* grad student is prolly one of the most difficult jobs out there. You have to bust your ass to earn the respect of students who are barely younger than you, and once you've graded their papers you have to somehow find the energy to motivate yourself into doing ridiculous amounts of original research.

I could go on, but my point is that it's exceedingly silly to think that grad students have it easy. Not too many people have what it takes to push themselves so hard without a boss looking over their shoulder.
Old 06-28-2005, 01:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha, he he he he, ha ha ha ha haw haw he ha ha ha!!!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

???

Being a *serious* grad student is prolly one of the most difficult jobs out there. You have to bust your ass to earn the respect of students who are barely younger than you, and once you've graded their papers you have to somehow find the energy to motivate yourself into doing ridiculous amounts of original research.

I could go on, but my point is that it's exceedingly silly to think that grad students have it easy.

[/ QUOTE ]

thats if you want to be a teacher or whatever right? Like the grad students that teach the biology labs. Just being a graduate student doesnt mean you have to do all that [censored] does it
Old 06-28-2005, 01:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

???

I could go on, but my point is that it's exceedingly silly to think that grad students have it easy.

[/ QUOTE ]

thats if you want to be a teacher or whatever right? Like the grad students that teach the biology labs. Just being a graduate student doesnt mean you have to do all that [censored] does it

[/ QUOTE ]

You have to teach sections whether or not you want to become a professor. The brightest and most ambitious grad students may also have opportunities to give lectures.

Sure, it's easy to get away with being a slacker when you're a grad student...nobody's gonna care that you're destroying your career prospects...in fact, they're not always unhappy to see you fail, seeing as everyone's competing for the same few spots at the best universities.
Old 06-28-2005, 01:31 AM

'Grad student' was named one of the worst jobs by some magazine or something. I wasn't really paying attention, as I was rolling around in riches. Okay, second-hand riches, but riches, nonetheless.
Old 06-28-2005, 01:46 AM

It's not the hardness of it that's the issue. In fact the hardness of it is part of what is fun. If you aren't enjoying grad school, well, that's just your problem. You're paying for it, for christ's sake.

If you're in grad school, find one of those older people who worked for 15 or 20 years and has gone back to school and see, aside from the money, what they like better.
Old 06-28-2005, 01:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It's not the hardness of it that's the issue. In fact the hardness of it is part of what is fun. If you aren't enjoying grad school, well, that's just your problem. You're paying for it, for christ's sake.

If you're in grad school, find one of those older people who worked for 15 or 20 years and has gone back to school and see, aside from the money, what they like better.

[/ QUOTE ]

Fair point. I thought you were saying being a grad student was easy.

I do think it can be very hard psychologically...you gotta have a lot of faith in yourself.
Old 06-28-2005, 01:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You talkin' to me? I went to freaking law school. LAW SCHOOL. I'm supposed to be studying for the bar right now...so of course I'm unemployed but can potentially make more than I ever could as a lawyer in 1/3 of the hours but then there's the lack of a resume to think about. Ugh, my head hurts.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm glad I knew nothing of online poker when I was studying for the bar a few years ago. It took enough energy just to get myself to start studying at any one point, let alone continue on. All of a sudden that Bond game for Nintendo seemed like the funnest thing in the world - and you don't get paid for playing it. I think my Bar hours studied was about equal to Bond hours played until I completed it.

BTW, those MBE questions are a haze. First 4 paragraphs are about Contracts, then they do a flip and make it an Evidence quesiton or something at the very end. Then, even if you know the answer before looking at the answer choices, you may have a hard time figuring out which answer choice matches up the correct answer given the complicated/awkward wording they use. For instance, if it's "said answer" 98% of the time, they'll alter the wording of the correct answer choice to say to say "false, unless x" with "x" happening....98% of the time. Etc., etc. Joyous memories indeed.

Cram your MBE subjects and learn enough of the others to be able to write something - at least in Cali you can literally make up a few rules along the way to fill in gaps if needed, applying those rules well to the facts given - and it's all goot.
Old 06-28-2005, 01:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
do think it can be very hard psychologically...you gotta have a lot of faith in yourself.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds familiar...
Old 06-28-2005, 01:56 AM

Hey, I just read this entire discussion; it was highly amusing. For what it's worth, I'd like to throw one more chip into the pot of top college graduates who are struggling to find a reason to go pursue something else (right now, anyway). The only difference is, I'm not making the serious dough at PP yet, only the dough. How much longer can I blame it on my mediocre screen resolution?
Old 06-28-2005, 01:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
do think it can be very hard psychologically...you gotta have a lot of faith in yourself.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds familiar...

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, it's just like macking.