Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-27-2005, 08:32 PM

Default 2 Hand Posts and Some Questions

<font color="red">Hand 1</font>

Party Poker 0.5/1 Omaha/8 (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is CO with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, BB checks.

Flop: (5.50 SB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, MP1 folds, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, Hero calls, BB folds, UTG calls.

Turn: (5.75 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, Hero calls, UTG calls.

River: (8.75 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
UTG checks, MP2 checks, Hero checks.

Final Pot: 8.75 BB

<font color="red">Should I have bet the river? Why or why not?</font>

<font color="red">Hand 2</font>

Party Poker 0.5/1 Omaha/8 (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+2 raises</font>, <font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, SB calls, Hero calls, UTG+1 calls.

Flop: (8 SB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+2 3-bets</font>, SB calls, Hero folds, UTG+1 calls.

<font color="red">Do other people lead out and bet with the nut low draw? Why or why not? Also, am I the only one who folds on this flop figuring that I will definitely be getting quartered if I do hit a low card? Why or why not?</font>
Old 06-28-2005, 12:46 AM

Default Re: 2 Hand Posts and Some Questions

[ QUOTE ]

<font color="red">Should I have bet the river? Why or why not?</font>

[/ QUOTE ]

No. You have nothing. The guy who bet the turn will call. Bluffing in o8 is rarely a good idea. This is not the spot.

Hand 2:

Player dependent. Folding is the technically correct play. I mean, that's what you are supposed to do here. If these guys are super bad or weak or crazy or something, you can maybe hang on. But, when in doubt, throw it out. Without a STRONG reason to stay in, I prob. fold here. You are playing for half the pot. I like to play in a game where if there is any aggression at all (that doesn't come from me, of course) then basically they are screaming at me to fold.

Good luck!!
Old 06-28-2005, 01:16 AM

On hand 1, I probably would have 3 bet the flop. With the nut low draw and nut flush draw, I try to get in as many bets as possible here. If nothing else, it might have bought you the river card free here.

And no, I would not have bet the river. I think it is very likely you would have been called.
Old 06-28-2005, 01:31 AM

3-bet the flop in Hand 1. You have a very strong draw and you'd like to take a free card on the turn when you don't improve. Rarely bluff the river on a blank, and not here. The only consistently good river bluffs in Omaha, IMHO, are heads-up when your opponent may have been counterfeited for low.

Hand 2 you can fold as a default (good instincts), but take note of your opponents. If you're getting quartered here, as a worst case scenario, calling isn't ghastly because you'll often hit with two other players in the pot. Against looser aggressive players, SB's call allows you to call if it's possible that you have the only nut low and the clowns ahead of you hold flush draws, aces, or assorted high card junk. The stronger your opponents are, the better your fold is.