Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-27-2005, 03:37 AM

Default Re: A 4,5,6,7,8 os in late position

As we all know, people tend to play aces very frequently, even with a shitty kicker. What this means is that not only is AJ-AK certainly in the hand with you if anyone caught them, someone could easily have caught two pair with their A/2-9.

More importantly, it's simply not good enough to *probably* have the best hand early in the tournament. You can be ahead in a hand and still have playing it be -EV.
Old 06-27-2005, 04:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You're kidding, right? I can understand folding <A6 or something like that.. But to say that AT is an easy fold?? Jeepers. I suck at postflop play, but I don't think that it should justify sucky preflop play to that an extent. How else do you learn to play 'em flops [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, this isn't 'sucky preflop play' in this format, and I don't fold AT because of a lack of post-flop confidence. SNG poker is very different from other forms of poker. Each chip in your stack at a SNG is worth less than the one before it. In other words, chip #1 is worth more than chip #10, which is worth more than chip #100, etc. For this reason, many situations that might be +ChipEV are not +MoneyEV.

For a good illustration of this, if you could go all-in on the first hand against a single opponent, and you know you are 53% to win, should you do it? The answer is no. In other forms of poker, this would be considered a poor play.
Old 06-27-2005, 10:46 AM

Nothing up to A8, but I'll sometimes play A9/AT from the button (and the CO if there are very few limpers). If I play them, though, I play them like a higher ace -- put in a raise, be happy if that takes the pot right there, be very careful if I get any action back. From late position, I've made a lot more money off of people calling me down with A6 than I've lost to AJ and the rare unraised AQ/AK.
Old 06-27-2005, 10:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Fold Fold Fold. A9 AT easy folds too. AJ on the button? If you feel like it.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is almost certainly wrong.
Old 06-27-2005, 10:30 PM

I fold A6-A9, but sometimes play the rest on the button. You know...they can make straights. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]