Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-27-2005, 04:33 PM

Default 20+2 Bubble Play

Hi,
this is a hand that I had a question about, how you would play it, or if you would play it at all! (45 players still in, first 40 pay)

I don't have the hand history, but I try to post as many details as I know.
Blinds are 200/400.
UTG has about 10000
SB has 5700
BB (me) have 5900

I'm holding 82s in the BB. Not a great hand, I know!
Anyways, UTG miniraises to 800, which he always does, usually to steal blinds. SB calls and I decide to call as well (first mistake)?

Flop comes 8 5 4 of different suits. SB bets out 2000. What is my move now? Read on SB is that he bets a lot of trash to try to pick up the pot right away.
What's my play? Should I have folded preflop?
Old 06-27-2005, 04:36 PM

Default Re: 20+2 Bubble Play

I think folding preflop is clearly the right play. Even when you got a pretty good flop (which you did) you still aren't sure where you are and there will be about 11 billion overcards to your hand. So fold preflop and save the decision.
Old 06-27-2005, 04:56 PM

To me, it looks like your reads fit a little too nicely into the hand.

Does UG really min-raise often from that position? This play usually indicates strength.

SB, are they really firing that often at ragged flops, or are they making standard continuation bets when they were the preflop agressor?

It can be very dangerous to carry certain reads into different situations. Everything about this hand indicates that you are most likely beat, except your reads. So, either these players were very tricky or you need to put less faith in your reads

preflop: Fold
Flop: fold
Old 06-27-2005, 05:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
T

preflop: Fold
Flop: fold

[/ QUOTE ]

agreed
Old 06-27-2005, 05:18 PM

Hi,
yeah, UTG often miniraised from the BB. At that table, everybody did it, mostly to steal blinds.
SB just called the preflop raise and yes, he frequently bet out at the flop.
I think you are right that I should have just let this hand go, but I was pretty certain about my read, so I didn't know what to do. Trust my reads or do the "standard" thing.
Old 06-27-2005, 06:43 PM

Default Results

Ok, here are the results if anybody cares (and no, I'm not posting this hand because of a bad beat, I really wasn't sure if it was the right move)

Anyway, I decided to trust my reads. So, I moved allin to the raise of the SB with my pair of 8's, no kicker (well, a 2).
Button folded rather quickly and SB thought for a while, until he decided to call. Well, he turned over a lower pocket pair and had exactly 1 out (remember, I had 82, lol)
And, because I mentioned above that I didn't post the hand because of the bad beat, but because of the question about this hand, I think you can guess what happened.
Oh well, lesson learned! Next time, I won't play that crap, even if in retrospect, I was a 96% favorite.

Thanks for your guys help and putting some common sense into my head!