Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-26-2005, 12:43 PM

Default Re: Winning Low-Limit Hold\'em Third Edition by Lee Jones

[ QUOTE ]

"Winning Low Limit Hold 'em is a superb book, and Lee Jones is a great guy." - Bill Fillmaff

"You won't find a better book than Winning Low Limit Holdem, and you won't find a greater guy than Lee Jones." - Joey Joe Joe Shabadoo

"Lee Jones really outdid himself with Winning Low Limit Holdem. And in addition to that, he's a great, great guy." - Mike Sexton

"Read this book and you'll be able to rip your opponents apart so haaahd, you'll take everyfin they have! EVERYFIN!" - Tony G

"Just keep publishing new editions when my books are a 3-to-1 favorite to outsell yours. Donkeys always revise and republish." -Phil Hellmuth

"Friggin' waste of trees." - Ed Miller

[/ QUOTE ]

The only reason that most of these quotes won't appear on future printings of the third edition is because my publisher wouldn't let me.

Regards,
Lee Jones

P.S. It took me a while to get used to it, but I actually like the new cover. It also (I'll be frank) stands out better when clamoring for attention among the other three dozen poker books on the shelf at Barnes & Noble.
Old 06-26-2005, 04:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]

P.S. It took me a while to get used to it

[/ QUOTE ]

I know what you mean, but if it was my book...my first thought would be, "Damn, I hope shes a better poker player than she is a graphic artist."

Either way is content over cover quality that matters anyway. Look forward to it.

PS: Since u are herem a few suggestions for PS...3 things:
1.Add a mini view at some point if possible.
2.Maybe a way to change table graphics (like to solid black if u wanted)
3.You should add SSHE and the Harrington books to the FPP store.
Old 06-26-2005, 07:01 PM

Also definetly start sending out (emailing) tournament (SNG) summaries like PP does, please. That would take 5 minutes for someone to code and it would mean a lot. I must use the opportunity. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] PS is the best site for me and that's why details like that bother me even more. It should REALLY be easy to implement that.
Old 06-26-2005, 09:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Also definetly start sending out (emailing) tournament (SNG) summaries like PP does, please. That would take 5 minutes for someone to code and it would mean a lot. I must use the opportunity. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] PS is the best site for me and that's why details like that bother me even more. It should REALLY be easy to implement that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ditto that. Lee u have it in you to make some great changes.

Also, love the sites Instant HH now. Awesome stuff.
Old 06-27-2005, 09:15 AM

Lee, in your next edition put in a chapter on playing against Laggy Vietnamese guys and a chapter on playing against chicks.

Thanks,

tek
Old 06-27-2005, 09:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Big changes in the new edition:

1. Barry Tanenbaum was kind enough to go over the entire strategy section with a fine-toothed comb. I've made a bunch of changes based on his recommendations, and I think those chapters are now better, clearer, and will give you extra expected value.

2. Because of the huge popularity (and profitability) of no-limit hold'em sit and go's, I wrote three chapters about those. My friend and former colleague Terrence Chan consulted on that section and it's, IMHO, ground-breaking work. I'm not aware of anything like it in print and there are some exciting numbers about how much money you can make playing NLH S&Gs.

3. I've cleaned up the prose a lot - removing words like "almost" and "probably". Barry pointed out that those words were useless unless i told you what the exceptions were. So either I told you what the exceptions were or simply took out the equivocal language. The fact is that the exceptional cases account for a tiny fraction of your earnings. So particularly for novices, there's no reason to confuse them with those exceptions.

By the way, in regards to the complaint that the book is "weak-tight", I have two points to make:

1. Because of Barry Tanenbaum's input, the book advocates giving up less after the flop than previous editions.

2. I still recommend folding more than, say, Ed Miller does. That's because almost all hold'em players, and particularly newbies, tend to go too far in hands. They call too much before the flop, and find too many creative excuses to see a turn card. If you're heads-up against a single player, then yes, you have to be fairly persistent postflop. But against multiple opponents (especially more than two), it's expensive to stick around with marginal hands.

But the bottom line is that I think the third edition is by far the best of the three, and I hope you'll go buy a copy.

Regards,
Lee Jones

[/ QUOTE ]

Interesting. As I recall, the 2nd edition changed the starting hand recommendations.

The 3rd edition sounds like it changes the post flop play sections.

Looks as if Mr. Jones has learned a lot about Holdem since he wrote the first edition.
Old 06-27-2005, 10:18 AM

Haha. A chapter how can I break Gus Hansen and Doyle Brunson would be ok, too. Imagine a chapter in a book called "Chapter III: How to break Gus Hansen." and "Chapter IV: Exploit Phil Ivey's flaws."
Old 06-27-2005, 06:18 PM

Thanks for keeping us posted, Lee. I'm very much looking forward to owning this edition.

I think the Ferguson quote is pretty funny.

I would order immediately from Conjelco, but I paid Amazon $80 for a year's worth of two-day shipping, so I guess their evil plan to get me to order everything from them is working. As soon as they manage to list this edition, I'll be ordering it.

P.S. Please forward this to them, if it helps.
Old 06-28-2005, 09:14 AM

Liz

Amazon is already listing the book. There was a link posted earlier in the thread, here it is http://tinyurl.com/adrr7 . For some reason you just cant get it to show up in a search.
Old 06-28-2005, 12:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Liz

Amazon is already listing the book. There was a link posted earlier in the thread, here it is http://tinyurl.com/adrr7 . For some reason you just cant get it to show up in a search.

[/ QUOTE ]

Huh? If you seach under Books for Lee Jones, the third edition is the second book listed.