Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Are you, or have you been, a member of MENSA?
Yes. 16 13.01%
No. 107 86.99%
Voters: 123. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-27-2005, 08:43 AM

Default Re: is this wrong??

its def a gray area, i'd have to say that i'd not try to stop the store's business seeing as that is the source of ur pay check. if someone is really down on their luck then or u just do it occasionally, but since ur boss mentioned it to u, i would not do it as often as u r presently
Old 06-27-2005, 08:45 AM

I'm pretty sure Jesus hates smokers anyway. Why do think he gives them cancer?
Old 06-27-2005, 09:19 AM

definitely not wrong, id agrue that its the correct thing to do. capitalism rocks
Old 06-27-2005, 09:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm pretty sure Jesus hates smokers anyway. Why do think he gives them cancer?

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly. A "good Christian store" that sells a mechanism for addicted people to kill themselves? Please.
Old 06-27-2005, 09:35 AM

I think it's nuts that you care that the people are poor and want them to get cheap cigarettes. How about some real advice, like "you can't afford smoking, don't waste your money on these, they are bad for you anyways"

I think this is a dumb move on your part at any rate, let the customer spend money where they choose, this IS your job, they pay you, your ONLY obligation is to not tell customers to go elsewhere, and you failed.
Old 06-27-2005, 09:42 AM

You are a paid employee of the store and are being paid to represent and uphold the store's interests, primarily perhaps by serving customers couteously and efficiently. You needn't take it upon yourself to offer advice to your customers that would be contrary to the store's best interests.

Better to just not offer such information.

What you did is not morally wrong, but it is bad for your employer, and they aren't paying you to do things that will be bad for them.

If you think about it like a lawyer who is involved in a civil auto accident lawsuit maybe it will make more sense. The lawyer isn't being paid to help the other side win. That doesn't mean he should lie but it does mean his interests are on one side and he isn't being paid to go out of his way to fight for the other side.

Besides, cigarettes are very bad for people, and helping them get them cheaper is not a good thing in my view, because the cheaper they get them the more cigarettes they can afford to smoke and the more damage they may do to their lungs and heart. It isn't like you were telling them where to buy bread cheaper.
Old 06-27-2005, 10:24 AM

If you want them to save money tell them to buy gum instead.

Also, let me guess... "You know what the real tragedy about all this is? I'm not even supposed to be here today!"
Old 06-27-2005, 11:22 AM

I would argue that the customer service you provide is about as valuable than the ~$.50 profit the store will make on the cigarettes. if your customers see that you're willing to help them out, they will become more "loyal" to the store. your boss is a twit, and is probably the same kind of person who berates his/her employees at every opportunity.
Old 06-27-2005, 11:39 AM

Your resposibility lies with your employer not with their customers. Why are you taking responsibility for their shopping decisions? You are overstepping your boundaries. Do your job and mind your own business.

If for some reason your employer's business practices are unsettling to you then quit and get a job with an employer who shares your values.
Old 06-27-2005, 12:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i was just looking out for the own good of the customer.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you wanted to help the customer you would've said, "Smoking is terrible, you should really look into quitting."