Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-09-2003, 06:32 PM

Default Opening hand in a sit-and-go

Online NL HE sit-and-go at Poker Stars. So, blinds are 10/20 and everyone has 1500.

I'm in the big blind with T [img]/forums/images/icons/heart.gif[/img] 5 [img]/forums/images/icons/spade.gif[/img]. UTG and two middle position players limp, small blind completes, I check. 5 to the flop.

The flop comes T [img]/forums/images/icons/club.gif[/img] T [img]/forums/images/icons/diamond.gif[/img] 9 [img]/forums/images/icons/heart.gif[/img]. Not too shabby for a free play in the big blind. SB checks, I check (going for the check raise) and it's checked around.

The turn comes A [img]/forums/images/icons/heart.gif[/img]. SB checks, I bet the pot (100), UTG and the first limper call, others fold.

The river comes 3 [img]/forums/images/icons/club.gif[/img]. I bet half the pot (200), UTG makes it 500, other guy folds, I call and lose to 99.

How'd I do? Losing half my stack on the first hand of the tournament can't be good, but I'm not sure what I should have done differently.
Old 06-09-2003, 06:54 PM

Default Re: Opening hand in a sit-and-go

Happens a lot when your in the BB with rubbish and hit what looks like a monster.
Maybe a bet on the flop might have given you idea he had somthing maybe a bigger 10.

stay healthy.............. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Old 06-09-2003, 06:55 PM

Personally, not to bad. But, two items of advice. First, when you got called on flop, I would have checked turn and waited to see what opponents bet and how much. You have two problems here. First off, if another 10 is out, then you have definite kicker problems. The second, as you can see is Pocket 99. Second, I think your Flop bet of 100 or equivalent of the pot was too big. You make your hand very readable that way. I would have only bet 50 into a pot of 100. I almost always bet 1/2 unless I'm trying to out-price drawers. You also might get more calls when you do have best hand in this situation from guys holding an Ace.
Old 06-09-2003, 07:38 PM

You misread the post I think stew. The flop was checked around. It was his turn bet that was called. The same really goes here, except its harder to put someone on a hand when they call the turn bet, since that looks like you are trying to buy it, so he could have a bigger 10 or 99, but he could also have something like 88 or 77 and thinks that you are bluffing, so you feel like you have to call the raise on the river.

Generally, with so many players in I would bet out on the flop. I feel like there is a very good chance that a bigger 10 out there, since many limping hands in early tournament play contain 10s (plenty of people will limp any 2 suited broadway cards). If I bet the flop and get called, then check the turn and get bet into, I feel like I can pretty comfortably lay this down (note that at some point, you should bet the flop, then try to check-raise the turn so people don't always think you can be knocked off a hand when you check the turn after getting called).

To sum up. If I'm you, I like my hand pretty well but I am far from certain it is the best. I want to find out. Betting the flop gets more more information than betting the turn. I don't think this is a hand to check-raise with (note that if 99 had played straightforwardly and bet out after you checked you would have been in all kinds of trouble when you check-raised).

Turning to UTG, I hate his check on the flop. This is a georgeous flop for that hand. Any 10 is going to give him action with a 4 outer. He definitely dosn't want to give a free card though since anyone with a 10 is drawing to a bigger full-house than him.
Old 06-09-2003, 07:45 PM

You are correct John, I did misread it and completely agree with your post. Thanks!
Old 06-09-2003, 07:57 PM

I don't think there's much else you could have done.
There's nothing to suggest you're in trouble (until the 500 on the river). I wouldn't beat yourself up over this. Just be glad you still have half your chips. My feeling is that UTG was hoping to get you to go all-in.

Realistically, the only hand you were in trouble against was 99 or 10-9, maybe A9 or A10 (but he'd probably raise before now). AA is not a thought to me, since most people would play AA very aggressive first hand (least I would ;>

That's one of those hands where you have to say "that was his, mine's coming soon". Or in my case "I can't believe my luck" [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Old 06-09-2003, 08:25 PM

Many would have lost all their stack so be happy! 99 played it terribly. He gave you a few cheap cards to out boat him.

When I flop trips in the blinds I will bet out. Many players won't put you on it and will call some bets. Check-raising screams trips, although if you mix up the play it might work plus risks the check-through.

Good call on the river. Many would be inclinded to raise but with your kicker that wouldn't be very good.

Ken Poklitar