Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-26-2005, 11:11 AM

Default AJo in the blinds vs a LAG, TAG, and LP

UTG (61/25/2.0) has been laggy in 4 orbits. His aggression is pretty straightforward.. via bets and raises alone.. no c/r's or lrr's thus far. i haven't seen too many of his PFR's to really jusdge his standards yet.

MP (49/9/1.0) has been pretty predictable. slightly more aggro than a true LP, but overall predictable. has yet to bluff.

BB has TAG observed stats and seemed to play taggish over his first few orbits.

I've been running bad at this table, catching very little on the flop or getting rivered by two great LP's who are running extremely well (one is up 70 BB's over 150 hands playing 70/3/.5 poker). My image may be a little LAGgy and I've seemingly had little folding equity at the table, but it could just be b/c the LP's always have a hand/draw to call with.

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is SB with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, MP calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero calls, <font color="#CC3333">BB 3-bets</font>, UTG calls, MP calls, Hero calls.

my thoughts:
Hand is too good to fold, not great to raise without much folding equity. I'll wait for the flop to use UTG's aggression in my favor. Of course, TAG happens to 3-bet behind me. My hand looks terrible now.

Flop: (12 SB) T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
Hero checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, MP calls, Hero calls, BB folds.

thoughts:
No reason to bet, so I check and watch the action. BB's check is odd.. 99? Not sure what else he would 3-bet PF then check.. unless he wants to check raise. I call the LAG's bet b/c its a big pot and J's or K's are discounted outs.. BB's fold is very odd. red 88 perhaps? worse pair? I'll reevaluate on the turn.

Turn: (7.50 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, MP calls, Hero ????.

Not a great card. MP's call doesn't say too much except he has a draw, pair, or better. He'd sometimes call with a flush here as well if it was small enough. My outs look more grim, but UTG could still be betting a wide range of hands here... what's my plan here and for the river?
Old 06-26-2005, 07:52 PM

Default Re: AJo in the blinds vs a LAG, TAG, and LP

bump for the night crowd. thx.
Old 06-26-2005, 09:58 PM

Since the BB dropped out I don't see how you can fold against a LAG and a LP who could have anything. I'd lead the river if its a non-spade King or Jack, check-call a blank, an Ace, and fold if its a blank spade.

-DeathDonkey
Old 06-26-2005, 10:32 PM

heya spider,

BB's actions are definitely weird. PF I play the same, but I'm not happy about it. I definitely fold AT and definitely 3bet AQ...I guess that's where I draw the line.

With the TAG gone I like our chances much more on the turn.... I still call though, the pot is too big to fold even with discounted outs. Raising doesn't accomplish much, as we're not folding a better hand and we can't improve our outs because a K isn't folding.

I'd bet a K river or J river, check call an A river, c/f a spade river, and think looooong and hard about whether to call on a blank river...I might even overcall, UTG could be betting KJ/KT/AT/AJ and MP could have a K, a 9, a spade draw, nearly any pair, who knows. Yeah, I'd overcall a blank.

Surf
Old 06-27-2005, 12:34 AM

kk, was concerned about PF.. felt a bit odd. the flop was uncomfortable b/c i was expecting a check-raise from TAG.

i folded the turn and thought it was a mistake. i stopped playing after this hand b/c i think the losing session was starting to affect me and i was getting tired.

LAG had red K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
LP had A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].

7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] river goes check-check and LAG drags.

good comments. feel like that was what i was missing in my reevaluation.
Old 06-27-2005, 01:05 AM

I'm not entirely sure I check the flop, given that two of the players clearly could have anything. Obviously, you are afraid of the BB (who seems to have a hand like 88 here).

You alreadly made up your mind to check-call the flop if it's just one bet, so why not go ahead and bet? This doesn't sound like the sort of table that would slowplay on that flop with a better hand than yours. If the TAG raises you, you can drop the hand easily. If the LAG raises you, you have to decide if he would raise with a worse hand or just a draw. If MP just calls, you have him beat if he has a hand, or else he is on a draw, but his raise is probably meaningful.

Pre-flop, I tend to be more aggressive when a loose player opens. I would much rather play AJo there-handed against two bad players than let a solid player in the BB in for just one bet with a wide range of hands.
Old 06-27-2005, 10:29 AM

I have two aggressive postflop players to act. The if you'll call one, just bet line only works out when you don't have much reason to fear a raise.

If you are looking to bet so you can fold to a 3-bet... why not check, fold when facing two?

I really didn't think 88/99/AT would be in TAG's 3-betting range here, so I'm in really bad shape against his range of hands.