Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-27-2005, 08:37 AM

Default Learn the F\'ing rules!!!

No real content here, just a bit of rant.

I'm playing 1/2 NL at Prairie Meadows in Des Moines. UTG raises to $5. Couple of callers around to the button, who says raise - then puts $7 out in the middle, reaches back to his stack and grabs a few more dollars, and then reaches back again and grabs a few more - eventually making it $15 or so.

I'm out of the hand, but this is an obvious string raise, and as this is a brand new game at this joint, I want to make sure we're all clear on the rules. I call a string raise, and the dealer says "He called raise, he can go back to his chips as many times as he wants". Ummmm...no he can't. I explain that he can declare raise, put the call out, and go back to his chips ONCE to get the raise amount. The idiot doing the string raising looks at me and says "No, I said raise, I can do it however I want. I saw it on TV". Whoa there. You saw it on TV? I obviously call the floor over, and he AGREES with the guy?!?!?!?! I'm not going to let this go.

To try to make my point, I ask him how are we supposed to know when he's done raising. Is the next person to act just supposed to ask "are you done raising yet?". Then the floor says that once the next person to act makes his action, the guy who said raise is done. WTF? So you're allowing the guy to string-raise as often as he wants, but the next player to act will decide when he's done by either calling or mucking? This is making absolutely no sense, but the floor says "That's the ruling, let's get this game going".

He leaves, I continue to bitch and tell these people they're wrong. Most of the WPT-wannabees are ragging on me, agreeing with the string-raiser, although there are one or two people who realize how stupid the ruling is. The idiots are asking me why I'm not running the room, etc. if I know so much. I just tell them that I DO know that much (as I host TONS of home games / tournaments and have studied the rules).

Five minutes later, the floor comes back and says..."Just so we're all clear here, you can say raise, put out the call, and go back to your chips once to get the amount you plan to raise, unless you verbally declare an amount, then you can go back one chip at a time". I say, "So, exactly what I was telling you all along?". He says, "Yes".

I look at the string-raiser, who was being a complete jackass after the floor ruled in his favor, and I say simply "Apology accepted".

Again, there was really no content here - just a rant on how most of these people have no clue what the rules are, and it really really pisses me off. I'm done.