Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-26-2005, 10:03 PM

Default Re: 1 year as an underage player

[ QUOTE ]
i dont understand you people who are so anti-pro. the op says he doesnt want to go pro but as far as im concerned he has. he quit his job and is making alot of money. he plans to use the money to pay off his tuition and living expenses while in college. he wants to buy an apartment with earnings when he graduates.

he may not have ambitions to play poker forever but that is what he is doing for the time being. i dont have ambitions to play poker forever either, but because i consider myself to be pro and he doesnt i am and he isnt?

sorry for hijacking ggbman. seriously, congratulations and good wishes.

[/ QUOTE ]

TStone, i agree there is a lot of funny business regarding who considers themselves a pro and who doesn't. I don't mean to be offensive, i think the one major difference between you and me, and the reason i don't get considered as a pro is because i'm continuing with school. While there certainly is some appeal to putting school off when you are making $100/hour or whatever, but i think in the long term, it's clear that i won't be playing poker for a living whereas people who don't go to school might have a harder time getting into other professions.

That said, you'll probably make 3x as much as i will in the next few years, so who knows. Anyway, thanks and good luck to you. (I am also currently in CT, maybe we can meet up sometime)
Old 06-26-2005, 10:59 PM

I knew that you were a smart, capable YOUNG guy. I didn't realize how young you are!

Three comments.

I feel that your parents were wrong in allowing you to play.

For every ggbman, there are 999 high schoolers losing their money and neglecting their education.

You are readily capable of succeeding in a field that is more rewarding than poker.
Old 06-26-2005, 11:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I knew that you were a smart, capable YOUNG guy. I didn't realize how young you are!

Three comments.

For every ggbman, there are 999 high schoolers losing their money and neglecting their education.

You are readily capable of succeeding in a field that is more rewarding than poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

When i wrote this account of my experieces, i fully expected there to be some discussion about young kids playing poker and whether or not it's beneficial. I just have a few comments i would like to make relating to the beliefs you expressed.

1.) With the guidelines my parents set up, i think it was fine for me to play. I am pretty responsible, and had been working for a while at that point. You can be assured that if my school work started deteriorating, i wouldnt be allowed to play no matter how much i was making. I was allowed to continue playing during the school year because i made it a priority to balance my life.

2.) There are many young kids who lose money gambling, i have no solution to offer to this, hopefully with proper guidance they can realize it's not for them.

3.) I fully intend to pursue other career paths, my options are just limited for someone my age. Before poker i ran a few Ebay businesses and worked at a resteraunt, and as soon as their are opportunities where i can have an interest in the field i am in and make any sort of decent money, you can bet i will explore them.

Gabe
Old 06-26-2005, 11:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

And by the same account, there's 999 sets of parents who raise their kids to be retards with their poker money, and their's ggbman's parents.
Old 06-26-2005, 11:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I fully intend to pursue other career paths, my options are just limited for someone my age. Before poker i ran a few Ebay businesses and worked at a resteraunt, and as soon as their are opportunities where i can have an interest in the field i am in and make any sort of decent money, you can bet i will explore them.

[/ QUOTE ]

Or, you can just be like me and say working for the man SUCKS, especially when 18. And, well, you don't make 5 figures working a register over the course of the summer.

But yeah, I'm major undecided, and I imagine you are as well. There are just too many different career paths to consider at this moment.
Old 06-27-2005, 12:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I fully intend to pursue other career paths, my options are just limited for someone my age.

[/ QUOTE ]

See this attitude is awesome. Realize that poker will always be there to play. You sound intelligent and probably have much more potential than just poker. Explore all your options because you will realize later on that there are things much more satisfying and rewarding than making money. Good Luck.
Old 06-27-2005, 02:27 AM

Great post ggb, you're pretty much just like me except that you're a year under (just turned 19). When I was moving up limits, I always moved up whenever I had 300 BB's and moved down if I ever hit 200. Probably not the best way, but I liked the action.

Anyways, the only valuable input I feel I have is that you shouldn't worry about the swings and move up with that fat bankroll you got there. It seems like you're just keeping yourself from making more money.

Also, do you know how many hours you've logged each month? I'm kinda curious =P Keep up the good work man
Old 06-27-2005, 06:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Three comments.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you think if his parents had forbidden it he would have not played? Chances are he would have done it behind their back thats what 17 year olds do.

Its much better that his parents setup a framework and control and layed down guidelines whan just make everything forbidden. I hope I can stay as cool as his parents when my kid and stepkids get to these dangerous ages.
Old 06-27-2005, 03:24 PM

Congratulations. Enjoy college. All of it.
Old 06-27-2005, 03:32 PM

*cough*

[ QUOTE ]
1.) No playing more then 2 hours per day

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I won about $4700 in October 4 tabling 2-4 for about 15 hours a week.

[/ QUOTE ]