Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-25-2005, 10:41 PM

Default Re: Will Rove Resign?

[ QUOTE ]
And these comments hardly mean much in the face of what Durbin said and how he acted afterwards. Face it, the man is a coward. He had the balls to stand in front of an almost empty room and compare our soldiers to Nazis, Soviets, and the Khmer Rouge (my opinion and it is clearly shared by many), but when the heat gets turned up, he tucks tail and offers a fake apology. Hopefully Rove at least has the balls to stand behind his words.

[/ QUOTE ]

Here’s what Durban originally said about the FBI documents revealing the Bush administration’s torture policies at Guantanamo Bay:

"If I read this to you and did not tell you that it was an FBI agent describing what Americans had done to prisoners in their control, you would most certainly believe this must have been done by Nazis, Soviets in their gulags, or some mad regime - Pol Pot or others - that had no concern for human beings,"

Republicans like to twist things to make it appear as if Durban is comparing our soldiers to these regimes, but he is in fact comparing the Bush administration’s torture policies to these regimes—and he’s right.

Durban never should have apologized.

But, like most Democrats, he’s a wimp—so he did.
Old 06-25-2005, 11:55 PM

Democrats help like anyone else. They pay their taxes, they join the army, they try to pass laws that think will help, etc.

[ QUOTE ]
Do you mean like the brilliant analysis and the proper and excellent response to the first trade center bombing that prevented future attacks? Oh wait, I forgot. The response didnt stop a damn thing.

[/ QUOTE ]

The logic isn't; that if you understand the root causes of an event, something will never happen again. Its not really so hard to understand that if you understand why an event happened, you can attempt to stop things like that happening in the future. This concept doesn't just apply to terrorists.

I really don't think most people have trouble with the concept. If your wife gets pissed at you, do you not attempt to learn why she's pissed at you to see if you can prevent it in the future? If your boss at work is pissed at you, do you not look at why he may be angry (clearly you wouldn't care... you'd think it was unimportant.)

[ QUOTE ]
That is the mentality I believe Rove is referring to? We are at war and it is not a popularity contest.

[/ QUOTE ] I hate getting belligerent, but you are a moron. Perhaps if we understood the root cause of what started the war, we could do things to prevent future wars. No one is implying its a popularity contest. Your off-the-cuff responses are childish and thoughtless.

The idea that Democrats think its a popularity contest is just some simple platitude for the mindless to repeat... doesn't mean anything but they think they're saying something.
Old 06-26-2005, 11:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Perhaps if we understood the root cause of what started the war, we could do things to prevent future wars.

[/ QUOTE ]

ummm......I could be wrong but I think the root cause of the war is that 3,000 americans were slaughtered on our home soil.

To accept any other logic would be like the British in WW2 asking what were the root causes tham made Hitler want to attack them. "Oh why oh why does Hilter hate us so??!!"

Can you name a war that was won with root cause understanding? I can't. Can you name a war that was won by defeating and slaughtering the enemy? (hint: it is pretty much every war that was ever won through the history of mankind).

[ QUOTE ]
Your off-the-cuff responses are childish and thoughtless

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow. I really wish I could live up your brilliant repartee. I thought your comment " I hate getting belligerent, but you are a moron. " was both mature and thoughtful.
Old 06-26-2005, 11:56 AM

"I could be wrong but I think the root cause of the war is that 3,000 americans were slaughtered on our home soil."

You are wrong. Prominent members of the Bush administration and other advisors to the administration advocated, as early as September 12, invading Iraq irrespective of whether or not Iraq had anything to do with 9/11.

I do, however, agree with your sentiment that a poster who calls another poster childish and thoughtless should look in the mirror.
Old 06-26-2005, 11:59 AM

"Tell me how the Democrats are helping win the war in Iraq."

They have voted with the President on funding for the war from the beginning. Many Democrats have been consistent supporters of the war. If there has been some softness of late, it has come from prominent Republicans as well.

"I dont think the generals worried about their popularity when they firebombed Tokyo"

That's because they kept it secret.
Old 06-26-2005, 12:00 PM

"Republicans think in simplier terms"

I agree 100% [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 06-26-2005, 03:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
ummm......I could be wrong but I think the root cause of the war is that 3,000 americans were slaughtered on our home soil.

[/ QUOTE ]

Umm... again, your ignornace is astounding. OBL declared war on the US before that. You act as if 9/11 happened spontaneously. There were never any issues between factions and the Middle East prior to 9/11. I don't think you even try to make sense.

[ QUOTE ]
To accept any other logic would be like the British in WW2 asking what were the root causes tham made Hitler want to attack them. "Oh why oh why does Hilter hate us so??!!"

[/ QUOTE ]
People have studied what the conditions were socially and economically that allowed the rise of Hitler. Again, try not to sound so dense.

Contrary to the opinions of people like you, people don't just wake up and decide to become terrorists. Terrorism happens for a reason. If one can address the root causes that lead to terrorism, one can prevent it.

As an analogy; think of healthcare-- there are conditions and lifestyle choices that effect your likelihood of getting 'sick'. You can simply ignore that and just attempt to treat the sickness once you have it, or you can examine the root cause of disease and take measures to prevent from ever getting sick in the first place.

I imagine you as a doctor: "ooh, these liberals don't want to just treat disease... they want to study the root cause of it. The cause of it is that the patient was coughing. Liberals are soft on disease."

[ QUOTE ]
Can you name a war that was won with root cause understanding?

[/ QUOTE ] Its not what wars were won, idiot, its what wars would be prevented.
Old 06-26-2005, 03:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I do, however, agree with your sentiment that a poster who calls another poster childish and thoughtless should look in the mirror.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's illogical. Anyone accusing someone else of something is not necessarily guilty of the same.

(that's not to say I'm denying my tendency to call a spade a spade. If someone prints nonsense and thoughtless junk, I'll point it out. You'll note, I'm generally insulting those who make crass generalizations against 'liberals' or 'Democrats'... If I sink to their level, so be it.)
Old 06-26-2005, 05:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Prominent members of the Bush administration and other advisors to the administration advocated, as early as September 12, invading Iraq irrespective of whether or not Iraq had anything to do with 9/11.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your statement is not in conflict with my assertion. Regardless of whether the Bush adminstration cared if Iraq was involved, I believe the war does not happen with 9/11. 9/11 was the catalyst for the war in Iraq regardless of the Bush administrations true motives.