Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-26-2005, 12:37 AM

Default Re: 10/20 6max: folding top pair on the turn

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah I'm not sure what to say as for how to make that happen more often--mostly playing with donks will do it.

Raise a lot preflop and bet, check raise and 3-bet the flop liberally so people dont really know where you are at. I call a lot of flop bets with really low overcards cause you often have the odds. The flop bets are cheap and as long as you can get away form it on the turn or river when you need to at least some of the time it can work out well. Then they end up trying to play back at you more sometimes with draws and sometimes with nothing and sometimes with the nuts. As long as you take the flop texture into account and your specific opponent--who you are hopefuly HU with after a preflop raise/3-bet--most pairs become fairly showdown worthy at 10-20 6MAX.

[/ QUOTE ]

Interesting. I like your philosophy about it...it seems to be the same one as the rest of the 10/20ers who are taking my money [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I'll have to see what I can do about incorporating the ideas into my game.

Surf
Old 06-26-2005, 12:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Disconnect your internet connection.

[/ QUOTE ]

This doesn't appear to be a constructive comment. Thank you for your input however.

Surf
Old 06-26-2005, 02:58 AM

Better than folding. Very constructive
Old 06-26-2005, 03:00 AM

Disconnecting would result in my folding the hand when I didn't post an action - I don't see how this is constructive.

The spirit of it may be humorous to you, but you just sound snide.

Surf
Old 06-26-2005, 03:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Better than folding. Very constructive

[/ QUOTE ]

Please stop posting.
Old 06-26-2005, 03:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
43/12/1.3 after 57 hands

Party Poker 10/20 Hold'em (6 max, 4 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is UTG with K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB calls, BB calls.

Flop: (6 SB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB folds, BB calls.

Turn: (5 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: 8 BB

[/ QUOTE ]

This hand is interesting to me. Hopefully some of the regulars chime in with their thoughts. I usually call it down but I'm not sure that's right.
Old 06-26-2005, 05:29 AM

Yes he might use that line with a monster, but he seems laggy... he might use this line with a worse king thinking he has the best hand too. He could be semi-bluffing, he could be flat out bluffing... the board isn't too scary, you're heads up against a laggy opponent, you have a strong hand, you're getting 9:2 to call down, and there are metagame factors to consider as well. I'm calling it down.
Old 06-26-2005, 08:22 AM

By folding here, you make yourself exploitable, your range of hands you dont fold will be so slim, that he can make this betting pattern with a ton of hands and be profitable.

This isnīt really a problem in itself, if you are against an opponent who isnīt good enough to see it and exploit it.

I sometimes fold here, but I have more than stats to from when I do and the more times you fold in spots where it appears they have a hand, the bigger is the chance that someone notice it and starts making plays at you, so your decisions later will get tougher.

Beeing in a 4-handed game with an opponent you dont know anything about except stats from 50 hands, I think you should call down and hope he overplayed something or semibluffed.

Hands you beat that he could have are: JTc, Kxc, A3c. If he has K3/K7 you also have some hidden outs, so you arenīt in that bad shape.
Old 06-26-2005, 11:35 AM

In my short stab at $10/20, people made this kind of move on the turn every time they picked up an extra draw. JTc, Kxc, even 3xc might make this move. The chance you're ahead plus the chance you draw out on the river make calling down a must here, I think.

Guy.
Old 06-26-2005, 02:09 PM

Thanks for the input everyone.

I seen now this is a clear call-down... My biggest problem with adjusting to 10/20 has been altering my play to account for the increased chance that my opponent is on a semibluff/pure bluff.

At 5/10 when I was considering calling down I usually weighed the chance of a bluff at a bit less than 5%. At 10/20 I about doubled it to 10%...but I think that number should be much, much higher especially once it is heads-up, perhaps as high as 30%.

Thanks all. The metagame implications of hands like this are what has been bringing me down lately I think.

Surf