Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-25-2005, 01:15 PM

Default STALLING IN MTT

Having only recently started playing party poker, and even more recently playing MTT, I am amazed at how much info. is in these pages and how much it has really helped my game roaming through here. Usually I just browse, but I encoutered something that I think is pretty common on the low level MTT's , and not finding any previous posts, was wondering what you all think about it. I was helping a friend through a freeroll (playing relatively tight and staying w/in 1/2 to 3/4 chip average by playing tight aggressive poker, pressuring blinds and avoiding flips), when we came across a table that was stalling worse than any table I have seen before. Every person on the table was taking the maximum time to bet, and the shortstacks seemed to be the one's encouraging this. The money wasn't until 50 people and there were over 150 people left at this point. Additionally, this table wasn't on of the first 5 tables, so it would be broken eventually. Personally, I think this strategy is unwise, seeing as how you are forcing yourself to take coinflips later or get extremely lucky in crucial points, especially if semi-shortstacked. What does everyone here think?
Old 06-25-2005, 01:31 PM

Default Re: STALLING IN MTT

I would tell these idiots it's way to early to pull this crap and that they have a better chance of making the money by playing more hands to try and win a couple of pots before the bubble. Also they are hurting everyones chance at the table to make a run at the bucks.
GL
Old 06-25-2005, 01:32 PM

Stalling is a form of collusion akin to chip dumping. Stalling is explicitly not allowed on some sites, but I don't know about Party. I would complain to support (alerts@partypoker.com) anyway. Even if it isn't expressly prohibited yet, it isn't fun, and if tournaments turn into stalling marathons it will tend to decrease the number of fish playing tournaments.
Old 06-25-2005, 02:23 PM

Thanks for the responses. I did try to tell "those idiots" they were hurting themselves and others, only ending up making myself upset in the process. If the whole table has already signed onto the idea, a person telling them they're wrong is gonna catch a bunch of flack (which happened). I think that calling customer support would solve my problem and save me the headache. Normally, I'd keep my mouth shut to avoid educating the table, but in this case I believe they are ruining the experience for everyone. Anyways, I appreciate the feedback very much.
Old 06-25-2005, 05:05 PM

There are times during an MTT where stalling can be very beneficial. All depends on blinds, your stack, avg. stack, and payout structure. Good timing can ensure you the button almost everytime the blinds go up. This can be an amazing advantage. People who start stalling at the beginning are idiots.
Old 06-25-2005, 06:23 PM

exactly.

in this situation it sounds entirely too early to benefit anyone to stall.

however, if it was one of their 3-minute level 'speed' tourneys it COULD have been warranted as the structure on those is so bad that this could actually be advantageous.
(I think they are re-buys now though on the real-money level).

Just as important though....short-stacks encouraging others to stall IS collusion plain and simple.
They are trying to get the big-stacks to 'help' them make the money (even though they probably are stalling too early for this strategy to be a good idea anyway).

Even if it wasn't the short-stacks who were encouraging it would still be collusion.
"Hey everyone...lets stall so that we ALL benefit."
It's total collusion and should be reported.

On a couple of occasions I have reported players who have had more serious talk of 'team-collusion' at the table.
Usually it comes with a warning from me that encouraging others at the table to play in a certain way is a form of collusion and is against the rules.
If they get all snippity at me then I notify support.
Usually I get one or two other players to back me up on my position that it is chat that should NOT be permitted at the tables.
Old 06-25-2005, 06:24 PM

Can you give an example of a situation where that is considered good strategy? Also, how much time do you think you can waste before it's obvious and unethical?
Old 06-25-2005, 06:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Can you give an example of a situation where that is considered good strategy? Also, how much time do you think you can waste before it's obvious and unethical?

[/ QUOTE ]

When you have less than 2BB and you're 2-3 away from ITM. Don't care if it's obvious because everyone knows why you are doing it; and if you are just doing it and not encouraging others to do it, it's not unethical to take the max amount of time before making a decision.
Old 06-25-2005, 11:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I have a big stack or a very small stack. The blinds are about to go up and I am getting close to the blinds/button. I want the button exactly when the blinds go up. Makes it move valuable to steal with position. I will stall all the way down and use my time bank if I feel like it. I might do this for 4-5 hands or an orbit at the right time. There are really only 1 or 2 critical points in a tournament where stalling will benefit you. Certainly nowhere near the beginning.

I dont think it is unethical. Is it? Party gives me time + 20 seconds + time bank to make up my mind and make my play. I like to think about the situation for a bit.

You certainly wont make any new poker friends by stalling.
Old 06-25-2005, 11:24 PM

Stalling in MTT's is unwise... very chip limiting to the "player". However, why wise them up... chances are each will continue this "genious" plan in other tourney's and you will be at the other tables.

My point is... there is no law to keep idiots from playing poker ... (or posting) just take advantage of it.