Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-25-2005, 09:19 PM

Default Fold to 1 bet on the river on a fairly large pot???

SB is a LAP
the other two players are major LPPs

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is CO with K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG calls, MP1 calls, MP2 calls.

Flop: (11 SB) J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, UTG calls, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB 3-bets</font>, UTG calls, MP1 calls, MP2 folds, Hero calls.

Turn: (12 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, UTG calls, MP1 calls, Hero calls.

River: (16 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, Hero... ???
Old 06-25-2005, 09:40 PM

Default Re: Fold to 1 bet on the river on a fairly large pot???

Maybe, I am too aggressive, but with the pot being this large, with so much action, and with there being little or no way for me to protect this hand (because the betting action is happening on my left, and because the pot is large), I am going to push my immediate pot equity by capping the flop.

I would then raise this turn, since the two players inbetween yourself and the SB have done nothing but passively call; and you have two pair Kings and Eights, which is likely the best hand right now.

On the river, the passive MP1 bets. In this situation, I would ask myself 'would I win the pot more than 1 out of every 16 times? and what is the likelyhood that the SB is waiting to check raise the river?'

Considering your read on the MP1, it is unlikely that he is betting with less than the full house, although I have seen passive players slow play hands like pocket Aces or pocket Kings, on boards such as this up to the river, to then bet out on the end.

The pot being as large as it is, I would call for one bet, and fold if the SB check/raised it up behind me.
Old 06-25-2005, 09:45 PM

Default Re: Fold to 1 bet on the river on a fairly large pot???

I would cap the flop and raise that turn. If he had you beat on the flop it could easily be with JT which you now beat. If he 3-bets calldown. That river really sucks. I might end up folding that since I'm not completing the action.