Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-24-2005, 04:00 PM

Default Re: a very shady move

almost all of you have told me that Brett is a douche-bag and a guy that, if i had a choice, should not be playing with. The problem is that he is one of the few people in my community that plays at high enough limits to make a game interesting to me and my connection to a couple games for higher stakes in the surrounding area.

If i lose my relationship with him i lose absolutely all of my action. I was hoping to take a less hostile action, or at least one that after i take it i will still be able to play interesting home poker for reasonable stakes.

thanks for all of the responses,

Jake
Old 06-24-2005, 06:10 PM

where in illinois are you? post here, and say you need a home game. i'm in chicago and get plenty of home games to play in.

you don't need to play with this guy.
Old 06-25-2005, 11:49 AM

Yea, but from the post, it seems clear the Brett knew what he was doing and did what he did so that the out-of-turn all-in would show his cards. This is just sleazy and does not belong in any game. Even though there was an out-of-turn play, trying to take advantage of it in this way (obviously, folding when you would have called the BB would be an advantage that is completely legit) would not be tolerated at my games.

Also, count your cards before every game. It only takes a minute and will relieve any headaches during or after the game. The first time I started doing this as habit there was a Q missing!
Old 06-25-2005, 11:18 PM

I find it unpleasant when someone tries to angle shoot like Brett does.

However I find it very pleasant when I'm a better player than someone who will give me action -- i.e., I can win a lot of his money.

If the +ev of having him in the game is worth the grief you have to put up with when he craps all over your game like this then go for it.

I suppose you could try talking with him on the side, and ask him to lighten up a bit.

Otherwise, you know what you're in for, and only you can decide whether it's worth it.
Old 06-26-2005, 12:03 AM

everyone's saying brett is a douchebag 'cuz it's true... he is a whiney little bitch and if you can avoid playing with him, do it.

if you need his action, don't tolerate his [censored]. be a poker-cop -- ie. forcing everyone to act in turn; upholding your rules on what a string-bet is ("i call... and raise" is always a string bet); counting the deck before EVERY poker game; explain that if somebody goes all-in out of turn, it is his advantage because if he was going to call the big blind but not the all-in, he can decide to fold and save his BB -- that solves that first problem in the future
Old 06-26-2005, 06:15 AM

Brett sounds like the guy whose house I played at tonight. NL hold'em for 5 bucks, was taking forever, we wern't raising the blinds fast enough. He was totally drunk and yelling about odds and telling his girlfriend how to play. At any rate, it somehow turned into a yell fest and our leaving before it got done. Thankfully it wasn't a game I valued being at (It's the only home game I've found in a year, but oh well) but it's awkward to be around retarded angle shooters.

He wasn't really shooting angles, just trying to bullshit us out of the tournament. ("You forfit for having your hands in front of your chips") My point is, you can surely find more games and if he's a problem, get rid of him. Maybe just tolerate him long enough to get chummy with the hosts of the games he gets you into. Still in the games, don't have to tolerate is nonsense.

Personally, I'd tell him to pack it, poker's not worth it if you aren't being honest and having fun.
Old 06-26-2005, 12:43 PM

Tell the angle shooting bastard to grow up or get out
Old 06-26-2005, 12:45 PM

Agreed. I was reacting myself to the second part, more than the first.
Old 06-26-2005, 12:47 PM

"Also, count your cards before every game." Better yet, have someone else do it, so they feel confident.

Also, you should count down decks several times during the game to take care of that problem and ongoing mistakes.
Old 06-26-2005, 02:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Just the other day, a guy put him all in out of turn.

[/ QUOTE ] This is called chopping the bet. The correct action is for the player to pull his bet back and fold the hand. If this is not done and there is action behind him, the game proceeds. Ironically, Bret was correct (partially); he was only calling the big blind. If the all-in bet was allowed, then Bret would either have to call, raise, or fold when it was his turn.

When I host home games, I've found that the best way to prevent these little problems (and problem children) is to start with a brand new deck, count the cards in front of everyone, announce to the players that the game will be played by tournament rules and table stakes. If there are any special house rules, they should be voiced before the game starts.