Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-24-2005, 11:28 AM

Default Re: Do you dominate your home poker games?

Most of the games I play are such low limits that I get bored and don't play well. I start raising pre-flop with 54s and calling on the button with 73o.

The worst has to be pushing all-in pre-flop for $50 with 88 and getting called by KK. As I said, I get bored as hell.
Old 06-24-2005, 11:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Most of the games I play are such low limits that I get bored and don't play well. I start raising pre-flop with 54s and calling on the button with 73o.

The worst has to be pushing all-in pre-flop for $50 with 88 and getting called by KK. As I said, I get bored as hell.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you play tourneys, creating a league and recording your tourney results online may give you more incentive to play like a professional no matter what the stakes are.

Use this site: www.homepokerclub.net

steve

Check out my home league: <font color="red">North Shore Low Rollers</font>
Old 06-24-2005, 02:10 PM

not really. When we first started playing our bigger (16+ ) tourneys, I did really well (1,2,1,4 first 4 tourneys), have cashed a few times since then, but really ready to win. These guys have gotten to be better tourney players.
Old 06-24-2005, 02:21 PM

Before my home game ended, I definitely won, but I wouldn't say I dominated.... But then again, my game had a half dozen long term online winners and 3 of us were job quiters.
Old 06-24-2005, 03:00 PM

We've been trying to host a monthly game since January...missed a couple months this spring, but we've had four STT's with 8-9 people.

So far I've finished 3-1-1-1. I'd say I'm doing OK [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img], but the competition is not real stiff.
Old 06-24-2005, 09:46 PM

When I actually care about winning and have a level head, I win pretty consistently. When I relax, drink, and raise just to get a certain response out of people, I either win huge or lose huge.

-kyo
Old 06-25-2005, 06:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
No. I host a weekly $5 tournament (during the school year) and I play like a donkey every week.

-Craig

[/ QUOTE ]

That blows

[/ QUOTE ]

What blows? Having fun with friends and blowing off some steam? Yeah, how lame of me....

-Craig
Old 06-25-2005, 08:35 AM

My home games were fun with friends and blowing off steam... until our 5c/10c NL $5 min/max games turned into "give Annorax $100 a night". Then I started teaching people and loaning my friends books. We also started playing games other than Hold'em.

Six months later, they're kicking my ass into the ground, and I've almost lost back everything I won from them.
Old 06-27-2005, 01:07 AM

Once upon a time, I did dominate. When I learned to fold early, I whupped up on everyone for a while. I introduced hold 'em ("What? No wild cards?") and Omaha to the table. Both helped my game. I was the first in the group to start reading RGP, and the first to find the forums here. They helped me, too.

I started sharing information and my competition got better. They started looking for outside information on their own, read books, and got even better. We started keeping score on a web site, and they got better still. Today, I'm usually near the top in the standings, but I've got a lot of skilled competition.

I don't mind, though. When my opponents are better players, my game gets better, and vice-versa. Now, we've got three or four players who are pretty decent all-around poker players, and a few more who are good at their particular game(s). Our game is normally just a $20 buy-in, so the extra buck or three I'd expect to win per week against bad players is far outweighed by the fun I have playing against much more competent ones.
Old 06-27-2005, 01:59 AM

For the most part, yes. But it's all relative -- we play 25c/50c blinds for NL hold 'em and everybody buys in for $10. I consistently cash out with $10-$20 profit. I could probably win more, but I try to grind it out and play conservative to keep them coming back.

"Amarillo Slim, the greatest proposition gambler of all time, held to his father's maxim: you can shear a sheep many times, but skin him only once."