Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-24-2005, 02:19 PM

Default Hold Em Poker Quiz on Cardplayer.com

I found this question rather interesting and I got it wrong according to the author. I would like to hear some more thoughts on it.

A $30-$60 game. You open with a raise under-the-gun having the A-A. The player on your immediate left cold-calls your raise and everyone else folds. There is $170 in the pot and two players. The flop is: Td-8h-4c, giving you an overpair. You bet and your opponent calls. There is $230 in the pot. The turn is the Kh. You bet and your opponent raises. What do you do?

The question is a little hard to answer without any information on the other person in the pot, but I still think I would reraise. Would you put your opponent on KK, TT, or 88 and just call?
Old 06-24-2005, 02:33 PM

Default Re: Hold Em Poker Quiz on Cardplayer.com

I would reraise.

Ironman Dave
Old 06-24-2005, 02:48 PM

I wouldn't put him on K-K.
Old 06-24-2005, 02:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I wouldn't put him on K-K.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm about as certain that he doesn't have KK here as I am that AA is the best starting hand. Otherwise, all bets are off. If he's aggro, I reraise. Otherwise, I call and check-call....unless I hit the bullet on the end.

The most probable hand is AK.
Old 06-24-2005, 02:58 PM

The reasoning on the website is:

Call. You are risking another raise if you three-bet here, and your opponent could have a wide range of hands that beat a pair of aces at this point. While occasionally raises on the turn are semi-bluffs, these are rare among typical players. Instead, raises on the turn frequently denote two pair or better. He could easily have cold-called your preflop raise with K-K, T-T, or even 8-8, and now have a set. You will get four-bet if you are against a set, and you only have two outs. You have eight outs against the top two pair, and again you could easily get four-bet. By calling, you can check the river if a blank comes, and perhaps induce a bluff bet on the end if your opponent was semi-bluffing with something like queen-jack suited. If your opponent has ace-king, you can call here, check on the end, and he will probably bet the river for you.

I think that there is too many times where he could have something like AK or AQ hearts and I would be missing a bet by not reraising the turn. Also the author suggests checking the river if a blank comes out, but doesnt this seem a little passive? I feel that if a blank comes out and I dont bet, I could be missing a value bet on the river.
Old 06-24-2005, 02:58 PM

I'd probably call and checkraise the river.
Old 06-24-2005, 03:08 PM

I have him/her on 2 pair at least. it would have been in their best interest to just call your bet and re-raise on the river if an ace doesn't come. This person has to have you on a big pair.
Old 06-24-2005, 03:16 PM

IMO, the author is right that the typical opponent requires a big mitt to raise a PFR on the turn. This is not to say that I would never 3 bet the turn. You need to know your opponents but absent opponent info, calling is the better play IMO.

His most likely hand is 88 or 44 or KQs. I think that most players in 30-60 would 3 bet preflop with AK or AQ or TT.
Old 06-24-2005, 03:21 PM

"Also the author suggests checking the river if a blank comes out, but doesnt this seem a little passive? I feel that if a blank comes out and I dont bet, I could be missing a value bet on the river."

With what is he going to check behind here that he would have called your bet?
Old 06-24-2005, 03:26 PM

A raise is only 0.08BB is positive EV...so its highly dependant on your bankroll. The variance is 18.18 times the positive EV....so most players should call unless they have very good metagame reasons for not doing so. You give up a little but you give up a lot if high risk/low reward situations break you.