Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-24-2005, 12:22 PM

Default I hate smallpots II (AJo)

I know the pot is pretty insignificant, but these are the hands that cause me the most grief.

Villain here is a TAG over about 60 hands. The only other read I have is that he's check-raised twice over those 60 hands.

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, UTG calls.

Flop: (5.33 SB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG calls.

Turn: (3.66 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
UTG checks, Hero checks.

Is this a bet? If so, why? The flop call on that board confused me. If my read is correct and he's a TAG, he's raising/folding most anything he would play UTG on this flop. It smelled like he could be setting up a check-rasie so I check it through.

River: (3.66 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, Hero folds.

Easy fold? Since he didn't raise preflop, the chances he has a K are pretty slim. Maybe a spot to bluff raise? But the pot is so small. I don't know. Thanks for the help.

Final Pot: 4.66 BB
Old 06-24-2005, 12:27 PM

Location: I\'m a FAG:Frugal Aggressive(Not that there is anything wrong with that)
Default Re: I hate smallpots II (AJo)

problem with your check on the turn is it will usually induce a bluff on the river that is often long-term +ev uncallable if the opponent bluffs with the proper frequency. i guess this would be read specific.
Old 06-24-2005, 12:27 PM

I think you played this hand fine. You saw all 5 cards for 3SBs - seems pretty good to me. On the river I don't see how you can call a TAG in that small pot with only A-high. Figure a range of hands that a TAG will limp UTG and I think you'll see why you fold the river.
Old 06-24-2005, 12:28 PM

I bet the turn.

It's difficult to say what he's playing here...possible a small pp, maybe Axs....

At any rate, I'm not having him push me off the best hand on the river like happened to you. If he does have me beat with something like a small pp, I want to make him squirm a bit.

If he c/res, fine, muck it. Otherwise, check behind on the river UI.
Old 06-24-2005, 12:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I bet the turn.

It's difficult to say what he's playing here...possible a small pp, maybe Axs....

At any rate, I'm not having him push me off the best hand on the river like happened to you. If he does have me beat with something like a small pp, I want to make him squirm a bit.

If he c/res, fine, muck it. Otherwise, check behind on the river UI.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well said and same here.

Checking the turn is giving up the hand and cutting your losses which is ok sometimes I guess, but the moment you decide to stop betting, you're inviting villan to take the pot from you.
Old 06-24-2005, 12:32 PM

I'll agree (because I probably play it this way too [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]) that a bet/fold/free-showdown UI line on the turn is a good way to go too.
Old 06-24-2005, 12:37 PM

I like betting this turn with the intention of checking behind the river UI. There's a pretty decent chance you still have the best hand, but you're not strong enough to give a free card to an opponent with unimproved overcards.
Old 06-24-2005, 12:39 PM

This is the same line I was thinking. The thing that could throw this line off is if villian does a c/c/b. We're now put into a tough river decision.
Old 06-24-2005, 12:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is the same line I was thinking. The thing that could throw this line off is if villian does a c/c/b. We're now put into a tough river decision.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hate that line from villains for that reason, but I think that would be another easy fold though. He doesn't mind a call at that point.
Old 06-24-2005, 12:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I hate that line from villains for that reason, but I think that would be another easy fold though. He doesn't mind a call at that point.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, this is true. I was thinking this K on the river helps with the fold decision. It really tilts the scale of whether we're beat by an utg-limp-worthy hand.