Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-06-2003, 02:28 AM

Default Sticky AA

20-40 game against a decently tight tough crowd.

I have black AA UTG. I raise, decent playing MP female 3-bets, all fold to me, I call, to force her into some post-flop errors.

Flop:

Td8d3c

I bet, she calls.

Turn:

Td8d3c(5s)

I check, she bets, I raise, she 3-bets, I.....?

Comments appreciated, results to follow.

DN
Old 06-06-2003, 03:58 AM

Default Re: Sticky AA

I would cap it and then lead out on the river but only calling her river raise, unless the river is an A. The only reason I wouldn't cap the turn is if I thought she would 3 bet the turn with AK [img]/forums/images/icons/diamond.gif[/img] .

Given that she 3 bet preflop and you and is a pretty descent player the only hand that I can imagine she holds that beats you is TT. I wouldn't think she would 3 bet with 88 so I have to imagine you are good, I wouldn't think you are against two pair.
Old 06-06-2003, 09:06 AM

hi deez
you can 4 bet here. she has KK or QQ. you're good.
Old 06-06-2003, 09:58 AM

wow what a great chance to make it 4 bets w/ just one pair. the only reasons not to would be if you think she wouldnt wait till the turn w/ overpairs you beat, you think she wouldnt 3 bet with them if she did, and youre certain she wont 5 bet w/ anything worse than a set.

im feeling pretty confident you made it 4 bets here and bet the river and took it down.

btw dont play in tight tough games. what's the matter with you? go over to hp where they have the best yellow chip games around.
Old 06-06-2003, 10:02 AM

"I would cap it"

there's no cap heads up in the game he was playing. so he must fold to a 5 bet. that's a critical part of the decision making on the turn here.

"I wouldn't think she would 3 bet with 88"

88 would be a reasonable hand for her to have especially if she thinks deez is likely to openraise w/ a variety of big unpaired cards preflop which he probably is.
Old 06-06-2003, 11:10 AM

She probably has TT, with an outside chance of 88. But she may have KK, QQ, JJ, depending on how aggressive she is. Call her down.
Old 06-06-2003, 04:23 PM

Default Results

....I called the turn and check-called the river when a blank fell and she showed me 88. I knew she would easily 3-bet me with almost ANY pocket pair. I think a fold vs. this player should also be considered, given her image of me being somewhat tight, and the fact that she would not make this play with KK and definitely not with QQ. Realistically, my only hope was for her to show me the other AA. I've found that when I call raises and bets hoping for a split pot I lose bundles of money.

Thanks for the comments guys.

DN
Old 06-06-2003, 04:59 PM

I think the only way you could have played it worse would have been to fold before the flop. Slow play in no play.

Tommy
Old 06-06-2003, 05:56 PM

I have black AA UTG. I raise, decent playing MP female 3-bets, all fold to me, I call, to force her into some post-flop errors.

The bit about "force her into some postflop errors" concerns me. It's much harder to force postflop errors onto somebody who has position on you. Conversely, you know that you are winning money with every bet that goes into the pot preflop. The two schools of thought on this subject are well known and the battle lines are drawn [1]. I'm with the "put more in preflop" school.

Once you got to the turn, I guess I'd bet, call the raise, and check-call the river. That's why being out of position sucks.

Regards, Lee

[1] Nobody's right, if everybody's wrong.
Old 06-06-2003, 07:06 PM

Default Re: Results

Assuming she perceives your UTG raises as tight, a good tight player does not normally 3 bet with 88 preflop.

If she thought you were tight and you thought she was tight, her likely hands are AA, KK, QQ, maybe AK (based on preflop play) and a 4 bet on the turn appears to be in order.

You may want to reconsider your opinion of her or her opinion of you.