Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-23-2005, 01:21 PM

Default Your thoughts on implications of this NLHE game please

My friend asked me to join him at a live-action NLHE game. The min. buy-in is $40 and I believe the cap is around $300. The blinds are $1/$2. He explained that it is a common preflop raise to bet $15-$25 or higher. Also, many of the players will call such raises with less-than-desirable hands (78s, KTo, JTo)as they are very loose and aggressive.
I told him I think the proper strategy to beating this game is to wait,wait,wait (as the blind:raise ratio is so low)for really premium hands and get all your money in there. Are there any other obvious strategy adjustments I am not thinking of? Thank you.
Old 06-23-2005, 01:25 PM

Default Re: Your thoughts on implications of this NLHE game please

The other factor is this is a home game, and if you play way too tight they may not ask you back. Unless of course you lose your ass, then they may let you keep playing until you start cleaning up.
Old 06-23-2005, 03:52 PM

I dont think you should 'wait wait wait.'(although this will work well) Since they are playing loose then your hand values go up. So hands that you normally call with may become raising hands and hands you may fold utg may become hands you play. Ofcourse you must use descresion as to what hands and where. The point is simply that since these guys are playing garbage you get better value for your hands, since your starting hands are more selective, so use it to your advantage. If you tighten up too much then your not giving yourself a chance to pick up this money which seems to be trowen around with no regard.
Old 06-23-2005, 04:31 PM

Since someone could buy in for $300 with the blinds being only $1/$2 waiting for the big hands could be an option. I think that this startegy is profitable in the long run, but I don't know if it is the most profitable.
Old 06-23-2005, 04:47 PM

i would say wait and wait.

playing hands like 78s and 55 is pretty tough. These hands rely on implied odds, and if people are sitting on short stacks (say $100) and it's $20 to go preflop, the most implied odds you can possibly get are 4:1 -- not enough.

A big money maker might also be to push preflop with big hands like JJ+ and AK, **maybe** AQs after a loose raiser and a couple loose calls. You will very likely get people to make bad folds here (ie they call $20 initially and then with $250 in the pot after a call they fold with $50 behind), and the overlay you're getting in those situations will be nice. Do this a couple of times and and it might make up for your tight image (agressive == loose for many noobs), and the overlay you're getting should make these very good plays. just a thought.
Old 06-24-2005, 12:52 AM

Thanks for your advice, all! I'm going to give this game a try and see how it goes.
Old 06-24-2005, 02:18 AM

your EYES tell the STORIES of the days you wish you coooulldd... recall the MOMENTS that once HAAHSAHHA... retract the footsteps that brought us to this favor.... i wouldn't aSKKK this of youuuu

GOOD EYE.... SNIPER
Old 06-25-2005, 03:40 PM

saw alkaline trio last night, they kicked ass, coheed sold out tho [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]