Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-23-2005, 06:41 PM

Default Re: A frustrating end to my poker career

lets just pretend i didn't give edge any advice
Old 06-23-2005, 06:55 PM

should i really be prepared to burn half or more of my $2000 bankroll in the $100tables without anything being horribly wrong with my ability?

am i too hard on myself for making stupid plays every now and then? Is perfect play correct play, disregarding variance?
Old 06-23-2005, 07:05 PM

perfect play is of course correct play.

again. you should post some hands. it will either reasure you that you made correct play or it'll find holes in your game.

if you lose 1000$ playingthe 100s, you should move down, and then go back up when you have $2000 again.
Old 06-23-2005, 07:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I can't play $25NL, for me to be able to out think my opponents i need my opponents to actually think. And it's bad enough at the $100 tables.

[/ QUOTE ]

youll never be a good poker player.
Old 06-23-2005, 07:12 PM

I read all your posts here.
You shouldnt play poker.
You have addictive personality and you cant control your emotions. You cant realize what is going on around you too.
Dont play poker. If you have any money left, pay your debts.
Its like alcoholism, you have to realize in what position you are and you shouldnt "give it one more shot" by any means.
Just forget about the game and do sth diffrent in your live , there are so many possibilities.
That's the best advice I can give you.

Best wishes
Old 06-23-2005, 07:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I can't play $25NL, for me to be able to out think my opponents i need my opponents to actually think.

[/ QUOTE ]
Sorry but this is NONSENSE. This is like "oh I cant beat this fishy games, there are just too fishy, how can I win if everybody is calling down with crap, I would do better against Doyle and Johny, because they actually can fold"

If this post is not a joke you have serious problems and you shouldnt play poker.

Best wishes
Old 06-23-2005, 08:03 PM

you must be able to understand how hard it is to take your advice seriously. i'm sure you mean well but i think you are exagerating the situation a bit. All i see is that i didn't manage my bankroll properly.

I don't see how that is grounds for never playing. Maybe you could tell me my life story, or at least one thing you've read about me that tells you i don't know how to play poker.

And it's common to think you'd do better against better opponents. It may not be true for all players, but this also is no reason to think i shouldn't play poker. Not to compare myself to doyle or anything, but i heard him say he does better against better opponents. Think about it, according to the theory of poker the more straight forward your opponent plays, the better. And most good players or at least decent players will play pretty straight forward. The better ones will mix in variance, but not many at my level.

i appreciate your advice, but i don't know quit what to do with it.
Old 06-23-2005, 08:12 PM

Also, the more mistakes your opponents make, the more you'll win. The better opponents will not play more straightforward, they will instead be trickier and more deceptive.

The bad players WILL play straightforward... you can always count on them to call with the worst of it.
Old 06-23-2005, 08:34 PM

Biggie, Ive played someone close to a million hands. I have the bankroll to play $2000NL (yes $2000, not $200). But you know what? I still play 75% of my time in the $200NL game.

There are several reason for this but Im not going to go into them because you dont appear to want real advice.

You keep talking about playing good poker, but I can tell by your posts that you dont even know what good poker is. Its kind of like when a teenager thinks he knows more than his parents. He honestly thinks he does, but he doesnt even know...what he doesnt know.

You need to get about $500 together and start playing the $25NL game. You need to play it for about 50K hands. And then you need to come back here and reread your posts.

Maybe then you'll be somewhere near ready to move to $100NL providing you have been winning at a nice clip all that time.
Old 06-23-2005, 08:34 PM

I'm still pretty green when it comes to poker. I'd guess i only have about 3 or 4k hands of winning play under my belt. I played way underbankrolled so that every time i lost a hand i tried to pick it apart, this led to some times of confusion. It's funny how you can consider yourself a genius for making some play and winning the hand, and yet consider yourself a dope for making (hypothetically) the exact same play but lose.

I'm truly stunned at how off i've been with my bankroll management. But i don't think i'm the only one that has gone through this. It doesn't seem like one would naturally conclude that you need so much money to play winning poker. I figured 4x the buy in, losing more than four buyins just doesn't seem like winning poker.

anyway, if anyone else wants to make a case for me not to play poker, i really don't think its my ego that is rejecting it. I will listen to reason, at least i hope i will.