Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-23-2005, 01:33 PM

Default Re: Utterly embarrassing and honest confessions of a 1 year pro

[ QUOTE ]
One thing that I think is important but isn't particularly clear to me is whether you like (1) poker, (2) money, (3) getting better at something, or some combination of the three. Obviously, each has its own implications.

[/ QUOTE ]

I doubt someone could be as sucessful as tstone without elements of all three.

-SmileyEH
Old 06-23-2005, 01:36 PM

Default Re: Consider El Diablo\'s Advice

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Are you going to start taking classes at age 23 when you should have graduated by now. Completing your degree at age 27 isn't going to impress anyone looking to hire you.

[/ QUOTE ]

Have you ever hired anyone?

[/ QUOTE ]

You're disagreeing? Human Resources HATES people who take "time off".
Old 06-23-2005, 01:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Are you going to start taking classes at age 23 when you should have graduated by now. Completing your degree at age 27 isn't going to impress anyone looking to hire you.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

They are less impressed with people who never graduated from college.
Old 06-23-2005, 01:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

They are less impressed with people who never graduated from college.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh of course...
Old 06-23-2005, 02:00 PM

As an old guy, I know more B&M pros than internet pros. I would say the vast majority of them are not happy or well-balanced people. I suspect most of them were that way before they became poker pros, but certainly some became that way, or had these tendencies exaggerated, because of their poker-playing.

I've spoken to a few younger 2+2 internet pros and they have similar feelings to those you've expressed. Many of them are quite sharp; they tend to lose interest in poker as it becomes an income-generating grind or they find things other than poker that are inherently more interesting or rewarding or fulfilling or challenging to them.

As a general rule, for every person I've seen who could be a self-motivating can-do type working in a solitary fashion out of their home, I've known twenty who let things slide and become mentally and physically lazy.

El Diablo's advice, to get educated, so that all sorts of other possibilities are opened up to you, is excellent. You can still be an occasional or part-time player, be very tough at the table and make a nice auxilliary income, and make an emjoyable life for yourself.

I take it from your post you're about 20. I'm 52. I know it sounds like a crock, but one day you will wake up and look in the mirror and there will be a 52 year-old man looking back at you and you'll regret the time that isn't there any more. Make the most of it, don't settle for doing something that makes you feel as you've indicated you feel in your post.

BTW, terrific post. Best wishes to you.
Old 06-23-2005, 02:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
As an old guy, I know more B&M pros than internet pros. I would say the vast majority of them are not happy or well-balanced people. I suspect most of them were that way before they became poker pros, but certainly some became that way, or had these tendencies exaggerated, because of their poker-playing.

I've spoken to a few younger 2+2 internet pros and they have similar feelings to those you've expressed. Many of them are quite sharp; they tend to lose interest in poker as it becomes an income-generating grind or they find things other than poker that are inherently more interesting or rewarding or fulfilling or challenging to them.

As a general rule, for every person I've seen who could be a self-motivating can-do type working in a solitary fashion out of their home, I've known twenty who let things slide and become mentally and physically lazy.

El Diablo's advice, to get educated, so that all sorts of other possibilities are opened up to you, is excellent. You can still be an occasional or part-time player, be very tough at the table and make a nice auxilliary income, and make an emjoyable life for yourself.

I take it from your post you're about 20. I'm 52. I know it sounds like a crock, but one day you will wake up and look in the mirror and there will be a 52 year-old man looking back at you and you'll regret the time that isn't there any more. Make the most of it, don't settle for doing something that makes you feel as you've indicated you feel in your post.

BTW, terrific post. Best wishes to you.

[/ QUOTE ]

Great post Andy.
Old 06-23-2005, 02:49 PM

nice post.
Old 06-23-2005, 03:01 PM

That post took guts man-nice job.

Look I don't want to offend you or for you to think that I am a bible thumping lunatic. But if you really want to meet solid, caring individuals check out a couple of churches in your area.

I was lost and into a lot of stuff that was really detrimental to my health and overall well being. With the help of a few friends I was able to quit the things I was doing and found poker about the same time. It gave me a great way to focus my energy in a "more productive" manner then I was doing. As much as I was living and breathing poker I still wasn't completely fulfilled.

I had never been a religious person, but I thought what the heck I'll give it a shot. I found a group of people who didn't judge what I had done in the past and were always willing to help me in some capacity.

Look I'm not a crazy religious nut, but I found some true frendships in my church. I was clear about my love for poker and no one has ever judged me for playing it. My situation may be unique-but I would be willing to bet you could get some of that missing social interaction with a few people in a healthy atmoshpere.

Caution: Find a church that has a lot of youth/ a youth programs. I have had some nasty/judgemental experiences at churches that were populated by "older generations" if you know what I mean.

Hope I didn't offend any 2+2ers with the religion bit. But it may help get you out of your funk and fill some kind of void.
Old 06-23-2005, 04:48 PM

2 of my friends went pro not to long ago, and they're the ones that got me into it. I've been paying off my heating bills for the past couple months with online winnings because of their influence. What they do is take a lot of vacations. They told me that helps to ease the burnout and stress of hitting a bad run of cards. Also play less games, it'll become less of a chore for you. You also aren't workin for 'the man', so that's nice in my opinion. Also get in my shoes and spend every single morning getting up at 4am so I can sit in an editing suite for 9 hours. I need to be in bed by 8 every night and that crushes my social life. No matter what job you do its going to have serious implications on your social life at some point or another, and that's just part of growing up, whether it be a 9 to 5, or online poker.
Old 06-23-2005, 05:23 PM

Default Best Advice

You need to take a week off and go to Amsterdam. Believe me, this is your solution. When you return you will understand. It is a place like no other...

Indy