Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-23-2005, 12:11 PM

Default Re: I hate small pots (QJo)

Now I can agree with that.
Old 06-23-2005, 12:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you've only got 10 hands on each of these Villians are they from this session? Aside from stats what have you seen them do in those ten hands. You've seen them play 7 of them - are they going to showdown a lot and with what? Are they folding on the turn? I know ten hands isn't really a solid read - but little non-statistical details like this can at least provide some decent info on how they're playing in this current subset of hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

All important questions and I wish I had answers, but I was playing four tables and relied heavily on PT numbers. They were very passive, saw a lot of showdowns and played poorly postflop in the short time I was at the table.

At first I liked the idea of the raise, but I felt like these guys would almost never fold to a raise with just one more bet back to them. Plus, with them being so passive, it would cost me the same to call down and I might get to check behind on the river after the turn call, saving a bet.

I ended up folding, but I feel like a calldown was in order as long as UTG+2 didn't raise the river.
Old 06-23-2005, 12:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I like this too under the following two conditions:

(A) Hero folds to a turn 3-bet

[/ QUOTE ]
Raising and folding to a 3-bet becomes a huge mistake if our opponent has a small flush and we are still drawing very live. This pot is not that big... but in general this line could be very expensive if we are prepared to drop potentially live draws.

Raising for a free showdown would be applicable if we had a hand with very few, if any, outs if we are behind. This is not one of those spots.
Old 06-23-2005, 01:13 PM

I like raising this preflop and taking the iniative. If the blinds are loose calling is ok.

-SmileyEH
Old 06-23-2005, 01:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I like this too under the following two conditions:
(A) Hero folds to a turn 3-bet

[/ QUOTE ]
Raising and folding to a 3-bet becomes a huge mistake if our opponent has a small flush and we are still drawing very live. This pot is not that big... but in general this line could be very expensive if we are prepared to drop potentially live draws.

[/ QUOTE ]
The size of the pot dictates that this cannot be a huge mistake. Obviously Hero is not doing this all the time. These opponents have been targeted as somewhat LP and weak post-flop. UTGs are not 3-betting with small flushes here enough to make folding to a 3-bet a mistake.
Old 06-23-2005, 01:15 PM

I said that the pot was not that big in this hand and then went on make a general statement. I don't think that raising and folding to a 3-bet is necessarily bad in *this* hand. Just pointing out that this line is more applicable to spots where we have few outs if we are still ahead... this may or may not be one of those spots.
Old 06-23-2005, 01:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
All important questions and I wish I had answers, but I was playing four tables and relied heavily on PT numbers.

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
They were very passive, saw a lot of showdowns and played poorly postflop in the short time I was at the table.

[/ QUOTE ]

So which is it? We're you paying attention aside from just using your PT reads or not?

I only comment on this because I think those of you who (and I'm not referring to anyone in particular here) are making decisions because "PT said to" are probably missing some value spots and at the same time losing some BBs where you shouldn't be. I 4-table too and I watch TV, talk to my fiancee, laugh at the dog and still manage to be taking detailed notes on pots that I'm both involved and not involved in.

Our VP$IPs are low enough that at best we're really only playing 1 hand at a time (4-tabling that would be a VP$IP of 25%). Most of the time we're going through hot/cold streaks where the cold streaks should provide plenty of time to jot down a couple quick notes on your opponents. If you can't do this while playing then I recommend reviewing at least some of your PT hands after the session, making notes during your review and then exporting them so they're available at the table the next session.

BTW Animal - if they were poor post-flop but were seeing a lot of showdowns then I don't mind limping on the button and trying to outflop/outplay them.
Old 06-23-2005, 01:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Just pointing out that this line is more applicable to spots where we have few outs if we are still ahead...

[/ QUOTE ]
I agree. Do you dispute that a 3-bet from one of these UTG players indicates that Hero has more than a few outs? Personally, I think I'm drawing dead if I get 3-bet on the turn.
Old 06-23-2005, 01:42 PM

btw - Don't misinterpret my position here. I'm not neccessarily advocating the raise/fold line on the turn. I simply think that it's plausible given the specified conditions.
Old 06-23-2005, 02:59 PM

"I like big pots and I can't deny..."

Small pot, 2nd best pair, non-nut 1-card flush draw. I'd favor folding I think, but it's close.