Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-23-2005, 03:41 AM

Default too agressive???

I know I should raise preflop hands like this, but this guy raised every other hand and called almost everything. I was fairly tight and passive and ready to get his stack when bluffing.
Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (6 max, 6 handed) converter

SB ($77.55)
BB ($12)
UTG ($120.7)
MP ($65.45)
CO ($51.75)
Hero ($70.15)

Preflop: Hero is Button with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $0.25.
UTG calls $0.50, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, CO calls $0.50, Hero calls $0.50, SB (poster) completes, BB checks.

Flop: ($2.50) 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, UTG checks, CO checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $2</font>, SB calls $2, BB folds, UTG folds, CO folds.

Turn: ($6.50) 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $3</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises to $6</font>, Hero calls $64.65 (All-In), SB calls $61.65.

River: ($141.80) 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: $141.80

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
SB has 6h Qh (flush, king high).
Hero has Ah Kc (two pair, kings and twos).
Outcome: SB wins $141.80. </font>
Old 06-23-2005, 04:11 AM

Default Re: too agressive???

A push might be a little overkill on the turn, but I like re-raising him about the size of the pot there. You have TPTK, and the nut flush draw.
Old 06-23-2005, 04:17 AM

If you're playing some1 that calls pretty much everything I'd be gearing up to throw any pre-flop hand away when I saw a flop with 3 of one suit on it.

The main reason is that at any point if he's betting big you have no idea if he flopped the flush and have no way of finding out (i.e. him calling a decent sized bet doesn't say much if he's a maniac and you don't want to bet massive just to get the information you need)

Also I would have raised AK anyway pre-flop on the button for sure as it doesn't always represent a premium hand but often more of a steal or because people know that after the button you will have position with what is probably mainly only a half decent hand.

As for the rest of the hand yeah I'd be too scared to go all in against any1 who could have flopped the flush and I'd be folding if he went all in.

The problem here is you had four to a nut flush.

I'd have called his raise on the turn and see what he did on the river as you had position.
Old 06-23-2005, 04:50 AM

he can only call your raise with a made flush - to which you are a monster underdog. Why not call his raise, and get his stack if you hit a heart on the river. He offers you really nice odds to draw.
Old 06-23-2005, 11:58 AM

all in way to aggressive. Only call you get is when you are behind