Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-23-2005, 05:25 AM

Default [Tell] Nodding thier heads

I see this happen multiple times a session.

Ex:
Player A makes a bet, Player B calls, Player A nods his head. Action continues.

Ex:
Player B makes a bet, Player A nods his head and either calls or folds.

Does anyone have any idea what this tell means? I can't figure it out. If I am not being clear about what I mean please tell me and I will elaborate.

silly
Old 06-23-2005, 07:54 AM

Default Re: [Tell] Nodding thier heads

Well, the conventional (non-acting) interpretation would be, "I see. I thought you might not be able to call this bet, but you did, so you really do have something in the stronger range of what I was putting you on."

But with all the bad acting at poker tables, it could be "weak means strong." I'll let others more experienced than I opine on the tell's veracity for poker purposes.
Old 06-23-2005, 08:59 AM

Interesting post. I am trying to remember if I have ever nodded my head after making a bet and being called...

I think for me it may mean "I have a mediocre-good holding and I would not mind if you had folded there." FWIW.
Old 06-23-2005, 09:20 AM

I think it's more an ego thing. It's intended to make the player look knowledgable and in control, trying to sublimanally say

'Yes, I knew you'd do that' or
'Now I have a better understanding of what you have'

Like others, I think it is a gesture most likely to be used by someone with a holding such as top pair, who is value betting and at the same time fishing for information.
Old 06-23-2005, 12:56 PM

In general, when a "thinking" player makes a bet heads up, and his opponent folds to the bet, and he then nods as he mucks his cards or takes his pot, I believe the nod is a pretty good sign that his bet was some kind of bluff.
Old 06-23-2005, 01:38 PM

Remember in last year's WSOP main event with around 2 tables left, Josh Arieh flopped, (I belive), four of a kind and was nodding his head when seeing it. Fossilman was watching him the whole time and checked. Josh bet and Greg folded quickly. I don't know if it's a tell, but it worked for Greg.
Old 06-23-2005, 07:19 PM

Why would you nod your head? Because things worked out your way and your happy. Say someone walked up to you and said "hey want a hundred dollars?", youd probably say yes and start nodding your head, sticking out your hand, etc. etc.
At the poker table most people know not to talk about their hand, but the nodding is so ingrained in your brain (how did you say yes before you could talk?) that it happens either way.
Also, I notice myself doing it when an opponent does what I want him to do. Say I have pocket kings and i am almost positive the other guy has AK. A king comes up on the flop along with whatever else. I bet, he calls (or raises) I'll probably nod alittle unelss I stop myself because I made the right read. Now the turn comes and the other guy bets at me. Now I know my read was right and he is falling into some problems. So I call (happily) or raise and move on.
Old 06-23-2005, 11:07 PM

I have found myself nodding my head in a couple of different circumstances at the table, but never while in a hand.

When I am confident in my read and someone turns over what I expected, I sometimes nod my head.

When someone does what I expected them to do, even if they don't show their hand, I will sometimes nod my head.

This is actually more of a confirmation to myself, for myself, that I am in tune with the game.

I think you should watch people very carefully before relying on a tell. If they seem to otherwise know what they are doing, you may not be able to get a good read anyway.
Old 06-24-2005, 06:52 PM

Do the players seem experienced at all? (I'm supposing not). They either have no idea they're doing it, or most likely it's an act ("yes i'm so happy you called me, sucker") but this would be with an air of confidence (even slightly). It also may be an involuntary reaction from thinking: when I first began playing I caught myself swaying back and forth very slightly when faced with a tough decision.
Old 06-25-2005, 02:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I see this happen multiple times a session.

Ex:
Player A makes a bet, Player B calls, Player A nods his head. Action continues.

Ex:
Player B makes a bet, Player A nods his head and either calls or folds.

Does anyone have any idea what this tell means? I can't figure it out. If I am not being clear about what I mean please tell me and I will elaborate.

silly

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, you're skipping a huge part of ANY read here. What happened!?! Scratching your ass could mean your weak, you're strong, your confused, you've got hemorrhoids, who knows.

"Player B makes a bet, Player A nods his head and either calls or folds."

Well, which did player A do? If he checkraises and shows down a monster this is something to keep an eye on. If he folds, it's also something to keep an eye on.

Let's say he shows a great hand, it happens again later and he either drags the pot or shows a great hand again - your read is gaining strength. Let's say he folds and later he does it again and either folds to another bet or shows down a winner that only inproved AFTER the nodding - your read is gaining strength. Let's say he shows a monster and later he folds after being played back at - well, maybe this isn't a read at all - maybe he just nods whenever he feels this particular hand is proceeding how it should.

A "read" (other than huge behavioral "ticks" by the most aweful of players) is never a stone cold lock. They are a fluid ongoing hypothesis that either get stronger or weaker over many hands and sessions.

Pep.