Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-21-2005, 04:37 PM

Default Re: One year as a \"pro\"

Your words were marvelous: "bettering of conditions for poker pros has dangerously intoxicating qualities for people my age."

You're right.

TY,

Al
Old 06-21-2005, 04:51 PM

I appreciate it, Al, if for no other reason than it vindicates my receiving a degree in English. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-21-2005, 05:16 PM

Man, that was one fine post, Coffee.

I thought the OP was great. This is great, too.

To the rest of you: If you go into the 8-5 workday world with the expectation that it'll suck, you're setting yourself up for disappointment and failure. At the very least, no matter how frightening it might seem, you should at least allow yourself the possibility of enjoying a traditional job/career. Who knows? You could surprise yourself, and come out with a lot more contented life in spite of your fears.
Old 06-21-2005, 05:34 PM

I spent most of my life trying many many different jobs wondering what I was going to do when I grew up. I think that is normal for many people. I was always amazed at friends and casual friends who knew from eight years old what they wanted and followed through with it.

Life balance is the most important item to me. This coming from a person who's first and second job was a cemetary grounds keeper, and ranch hand for $.50 an hour as a barely legal working kid. I really enjoyed being a short order cook many many years ago too, but it did not cover my other needs very well. Now about thirty jobs later I am at a Fortune 100 company and I love it! I know my past jobs prepared me to enjoy my work now, and without them I would be just another disgruntled unhappy slug in the workforce.

I think for most people as you cruise past 35 and head towards 40 the less important things start falling away from your life and your focus changes to what is important to you. That is when most people start understanding what they want out of life and what makes them happy. Major lifestyle and job changes are common in this age group, imo.

Until anyone gets there, I would offer you just enjoy the trip and try many many things and do not be afraid to quit a so so job, even poker, and take on something completely new, you might actually enjoy doing it! You can always go back.

Much better to be in a wheel chair, drooling in a rest home thinking about what you did do, than thinking about what you could have done....
Old 06-22-2005, 01:53 AM

Judge,

I've followed an eerily similar path: Project Manager for a contracting firm...for me in the finance industry...steady normal job for many years with poker as a side hobby. But since I've made the move to playing full-time, I WILL NEVER GO BACK. What so many consider "real jobs" is often what really bothers me....mostly speaking about corporate America. I cringed daily when listening to the "office space" banter around the copier. When I left, I left proudly. I told people exactly what I intended to do, and I loved seeing everyone's astounded looks that someone would actually take such a risk...try something as ridiculous as GAMBLING for a living.

I've never regretted it. I still get up every morning excited to see the cards come down...constantly thinking about how to improve my game.

I do go out of my way to go outside daily, exercise, and lead as much of a social life as possible...and this is utterly essential, getting into the sun and finding a NEW hobby now to replace what poker was. Hopefully one that will put you in contact with other people. It's the balance. And yes vacation! Do those package deals/tours. As soon as I get back from one trip, I'm planning the next one. To me it's what I'm meant to do. A "real" job could never touch this.
Old 06-22-2005, 06:55 AM

I concur with physical activity being great for morale. In fact since you might feel "bad" or "empty" because you spent all those hours playing a "fake" job, exercising should make you feel just the opposite.
Old 06-22-2005, 07:08 AM

Good post fooz (and OP), very nice to hear from both sides of the medal.
Old 06-22-2005, 05:28 PM

Great post Judge, (and Mike),

I am not in your shoes, but would love to go pro someday. Like you, I could see myself not pulling away from the monitor, getting mild depression, and becoming anti-social. I've thought that to combat this, I would have to literally schedule exercise and social activies: i.e. 3:00 p.m. cardio-boxing class at the health club, joining the men's night league at the golf course, taking classes at a local college, that kind of thing.
Good luck to you.
Old 06-22-2005, 06:17 PM

revots,

I disagree that this is the case for even the majority of people. Trying to find your happiness out of a job could easily lead you to a life of depression when you wake up and realize that its not all that you thought it was cracked up to be. Most jobs that pay anything decent (and this is a must) pay well because they aren't all that easy or require a huge life sacrifice. Most of them also require you to sit on your arse for 8 hrs per day in front of a cpu and being stuck living in a boring ass place (like Indiana) where there is nothing to do on the weekends. If you can make >=60K/yr playing poker, and you feel reasonably confident that you can, I see no reason whatsoever for not doing it.

And to the people that say they gain weight, become socially inept, etc...Well most of them would be that way with or without poker...Walk around my floor at work and I will show you some really high paid degenerates who should be beaten repeatedly in the face with a heavy piece of mining equipment

Ahhh, glad that's off my chest. Anybody out there actually like playing pkr for a living?

Indiana
Old 06-23-2005, 01:12 AM

Default Going pro....

I've spent many hours every day reading and playing poker since the age of about 17..I am almost 23 just graduated college. I won 10k in past 2 months. Won 8k online (was up 11k, gave back 3k) took some time off and haven't returned. Partly this is because its the last 2 wks of college and I want to just party and partly because I don't want to give any back(games are softer in ac, more money.) Just wanted to inform the group and I will post my progress in the coming weeks. How does this relate to the going pro post for our age group? Here is my two cents...If you are itching on going pro...go ahead sit at that table for one week see who your up against day in and day out and decide for yourself if you want to take the plunge....o yeah...if it doesn't work your life isn't over...but unless your a trustfund baby yes you will have to start applying for jobs.