Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-22-2005, 10:55 PM

Default Re: new situation for me, how did I play it?

I don't think calling is horrible here. Your hand is really weak, pretty much just an OESD with a bit of showdown value.

But I don't think raising is horrible here too.
Old 06-23-2005, 12:35 AM

You do not have 8 outs to the nuts btw. You have 0 outs to the nuts. Anyone with 68 has you destroyed if a 7 comes, anyone with 67 has you beat already and the 2 is big trouble. Plus the 2 and 7 of spades put a possible flush out there. So, be careful about drawing to the "nuts" when in reality, you could be drawing to a lot of second best hands.

Edited to add: Your line looks pretty good here though.
Old 06-23-2005, 12:46 AM

I missed the fact that it was the first hand of the tournament. That would make me more reluctant on the allin on the turn simply because there do seem to be more frequent slowplays early in these sngs. Especially the first few hands.

But later in the tournament I don't think it is that likely that the first two are just calling the flop and checking the turn with made hands. Higher overpairs will be protecting their hands. And a made straight will be making small bets to try to extract something from this nonpromising board. So I'm guessing the 66 would be facing players pairing the flop and hoping their hand is good or drawing for a straight more often than facing a made hand better than 66.
Old 06-23-2005, 12:50 AM

Hi Pearl,

I like the flop raise....I have to believe you are ahead at this point and might rid yourself of opponents with overcards. I would not be too pleased with everyone calling your raise. Someone could easily be sitting on a middle pair waiting to apply the pressure on the turn. However, with two checks I would bet again....but certainly not all in. A smaller bet will accomplish the goal of driving away anyone not drawing to beat you. You can then value bet the river if you think you are still ahead or hit your draw.

Pitcher