Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-22-2005, 03:31 AM

Default someone tell me the odds please

pokerroom $1-$1 NL Hold 'Em

2 limpers call BB...
i hold 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] and limp in SB...
villian holds J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] and checks BB...

($4) flop comes 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

i raise $3... villian re-raises to $10... 2 folds and i go all in (approx. $50)... villian calls

turn is 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]... river is 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

what are the odds that he catches a runner-runner to beat my set like he did? also if anybody has any input on how i should have played this hand it would be helpful

however, i'm not sure what more i could have done... maybe raised PF? but he was very loose and aggressive so i am 90% sure he would have called with his J9 to protect his BB
Old 06-22-2005, 04:39 AM

Default Re: someone tell me the odds please

The odds of him hitting runner runner to win the hand are 3.5% (99, J9, JJ, J6,66)
Nothing you could have done about it, anyone who would move in with top pair and a nine kicker is someone you want to play against.
Old 06-22-2005, 09:14 AM

good play...bad luck
Old 06-22-2005, 09:37 AM

http://www.twodimes.net/

This website can answer your question on the odds without the need of calculating it manually.
Old 06-22-2005, 06:47 PM

The advantage of the preflop raise in this situation is it may get rid of drawing hands and other hands with low cards. That makes the hand safer to play.

The disadvantages are that you will waste a bet when you don't get a 5 on the flop and you may get a smaller pot when you get a good board.

So the preflop raise pays a small amount most of the time and gives up some upside, to remove the danger of something like what happened to you. Whether you're getting a good price for that insurance depends on your opponents and the precise situation.

It is a good idea to make the raise once in a while at least, to disguise the times you raise preflop to force out the drawing hands.