Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-21-2005, 11:53 AM

Default Hey Bull!!! I can\'t remember

I was drunk!! And I'm not sure how much I won cause I went home with a prostitute........... Just kidding!!

Bull, I only won a small amount, but I only played for 1 hour. I will tell you about the people at my table.

Seat
1 .) Old lady. Very Talkative, very confident. I saw her make a real nice play with aces on 3rd and 4th street against a lag. Lag completed with like a Q up, she called, and some woman in the 2 seat called behind.. Then the lag bets into her on 4th street, and she popped it there, and the two seat called behind,with a seemingly unthreatening card, and lag called. But then she made an open pair of 2's on 5th or 6th, and checked down her aces up.. Weird. She could probably play well, but she wasn't betting the river enough, as well as the strange play with aces up.

2 seat: Made a few attrocious calls, like the one described above.. I think she either had an unimproved 3 flush, or a pair of tens that she called those 2 bets cold with on 4th street. I also am 99% sure she was on some sort of pain killer or something.

3 seat: BeerMoney. Shark.

4 seat: Older guy, who seemed to be slightly tilting. He called a raise from an ace door card after limping with 737, caught a 3 on 4th for two pair, but his opponent caught an ace, and he called his double bet on 4th, called down to the river with the exception of a check on 6th, and folded the river when his opponent bet out. He didn't have any respect for his opponent here, but you've just gotta find a better spot.

5 seat: Middle aged woman i don't think I saw play any hands except for a few completions that took down the antes.

6 seat: empty

7 seat: LAG gambling type. He put a beat on me earlier, in the night, rivering trips against my queens up. He played ttoo many and didn't play well on later streets. He couldn't tell when someone was just gonna call him down.

8 seat: Old pain in the ass. He played just ok.

Overall, the play was a lot more loose passive than what i've encoutnered in the 10/20 on party.
Old 06-21-2005, 12:00 PM

Default Re: Hey Bull!!! I can\'t remember

[ QUOTE ]
7 seat: LAG gambling type.
What's a LAG...I mean what does it stand for
Limp all game ? ?
Old 06-21-2005, 12:05 PM

LAG = Loose and aggressive. Although "limp all game" is much funnier.

Loose = Plays a lot of hands.

Aggressive = a player who has a high ratio of bets and raises to checks and calls.
Old 06-21-2005, 02:23 PM

Default Re: BeerMoney in Vegas

So was there anything between 1-5 no ante and 20-40 stud? Any of the new rooms spreading stud games at 4-8/6-12/10-20? Or is stud really as dead in Las Vegas as everyone says?
Old 06-21-2005, 02:28 PM

stud is dead in vegas
mirage had a 5/10 game back in august but they haven't spread that "for months"
i did play 3/6 stud/8 at palace station on friday, that was fun

mike
Old 06-22-2005, 01:22 AM

Default Thanks,Beer! I was....

just curious.
SittingBull
Old 06-22-2005, 05:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
4 seat: Older guy, who seemed to be slightly tilting. He called a raise from an ace door card after limping with 737, caught a 3 on 4th for two pair, but his opponent caught an ace, and he called his double bet on 4th, called down to the river

[/ QUOTE ]

Man that's awful- nice summary Beer, and congrats on splashing around at those stakes!!
Old 06-26-2005, 01:30 AM

Default Trip Report..

I pretty much got busted in the 20/40 game, and couldn't catch a thing at the 4/8 hold em.. Lost a bunch [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]. Fortunately, I won a bunch playing on line at my friends apt.

I was able to spend some time with 2+2er Felicia and she introduced me to the champ, Greg Raymer. That was cool, I didn't have much to say to him, but he obviously seemed like a cool regular guy. I was also able to meet Ted Forrest while at the Bellagio, again, a normal guy who happens to be a world class stud player.

Thoughts about tipping.. People in Vegas are really aggressive about getting you to tip them. People try to goad you into saying.. "Oh, keep the change.."etc... Real annoying. The people who don't seem to be obnoxious are the dealers. One thing that Carlos didn't account for in his post about tipping is that dealers aren't always dealing, in particular at stud tables. People will often get up and wander away, in the mean time, the table breaks, or people like me will refuse to play short-handed.

A coupla thoughts about playing live. .. Playing live is fun, and slightly more relaxing. You have more time to think about what's going on and observe your opponents.. There are less distractions. On the other hand, I think your opponents are going to be more observant of your play as well... Nevertheless, the few 3rd street raises I did make got little respect and I got plenty of action.. Unfortunately my hands weren't holding up .

Losing money sucked, but I stayed with friends, so I was able to still have a good time.
Old 06-27-2005, 12:02 AM

It's a bastardization of LAP. In Dr. Al's book, he shortened loose, aggressive players to LAP's. A LAG is a loose, aggressive game. For whatever reason, most of the 2+2 community can't get it out of their minds that an individual person is a LAG. Once a few people screwed up and typed LAG, everyone followed right along like sheep and started typing LAG, too. Baaah!

Felicia [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

PS: I still say LAP, TAP, LPP, etc. I am anything but a sheep.
Old 06-27-2005, 12:11 AM

Things are changing. The experienced players told me they would, and they were right. I didn't expect this much change, this fast, though.

We had a Stud 8 game that evolved into a mixed game of Stud 8, O8 and Razz at Rio. The average age of the player was maybe 35. There was only one retirement aged person playing.

Ditto for the O8/TDL/Padoogi mixed game. Maybe even a younger average age.

Most of the Stud or mixed games at Rio offer a much younger average age.

MGM has been spreading HORSE and other mixed games pretty regularly.

At a poker blogger get together we had two full mixed game with a waiting list one night. Another night, two full games, a waiting list, and a HORPSE game at the Nugget.

At times there have been up to three 50/100 Stud 8 games going at the Rio. Last year I never saw more than one, or maybe a second shorthanded game.

It's coming back, and fast. The numbers have been phenomenal. The first two Stud tourneys at Rio had more participants than all Stud and Stud 8 tourneys last year...combined!

I'm amazed at the number of 20-something's that ask me for Stud advice, or some quick lessons. I'm not a dinosaur anymore! People don't wince when I mention Stud these days. What a nice change.

Felicia [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]