Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-15-2005, 06:34 PM

Default Re: Done reading HOH 2....anyone else ? lets discuss

I think Hand 11-20 is absolute horrible advice. I realize you are getting 3.5-to-1 odds on a call but BB's effective M is just less than 1 and Q6 is just such a marginal hand calling off 20% of your stack does not make sense. I might be able to accept an all-in move but I think folding is very clear here. just wtf is harrington thinking? thought?
Old 06-22-2005, 10:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
"Regardless, of the poker names putting out books, Harrington has definitely set the bar VERY high for those coming out with new books in the future."

And Ed Miller's kinda short to boot. But he will be standing on my shoulders.

[/ QUOTE ]

A Newtonian reference?
Old 06-22-2005, 02:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Now if you can just get a "small stakes poker" book that covers omaha and stud like holdem has been covered.

[/ QUOTE ]

Amen to that, especially the 7 stud part.
Old 06-22-2005, 05:08 PM

Best part of the books is the hand by hand heads-up commented match Ivey Vs Agostino.

I'm a bit disapointed with the short-handed chapter. I expected more pre-flop hand adjustments and positional advice. 6-handed ring-games are so popular now, it's a good place to fish.
Old 06-22-2005, 05:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Now if you can just get a "small stakes poker" book that covers omaha and stud like holdem has been covered.

[/ QUOTE ]
I coulndn't agree more.Is there any plans for anything like this in the future?
Old 06-22-2005, 05:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Well Mvicuna I think Harrington does a way better job at explaining concepts and showing new ones like M factor. I really don't think that people other than paul phillips in this board are at that level. It is funny how much credit you give people on these boards as even Greg Raymer didnt realize what Harrington was doing when he reraised Raymer and Arieh with 62o. He commented on it during his espn commentary that that hand was not in his mind.

[/ QUOTE ]

So because Harrington (arguably) outplayed them on one hand, he's automatically better. Raymer and Arieh outplayed him on enoguh hands to, you know, like outlast him in the tourney, and in Raymer's case win it. What does that count for?

Harrington is a great tourney NL player, just not because of one hand.
Old 06-23-2005, 03:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Best part of the books is the hand by hand heads-up commented match Ivey Vs Agostino.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm glad someone else picked up on this. I always thought it'd be pretty much impossible to write anything too specific on heads up play as its very much a case of playing the player, not necessarily the cards. However, the review of an actual heads up confrontation from start to finish is an excellent format and very good reading.

The only downside to the book is the number of typo's - far more than any other 2+2 book I can recall. Some of them are absolutely glaring - can't believe they weren't spotted.

Overall though, a fabulous book. Its the first poker book I've found to be 'unputdownable' - I've ended up reading the entire thing in a single day, which is a first for a poker book for me!

Sheriff
Old 06-23-2005, 10:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Couldn't agree more.
Old 06-23-2005, 12:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Well Mvicuna I think Harrington does a way better job at explaining concepts and showing new ones like M factor. I really don't think that people other than paul phillips in this board are at that level. It is funny how much credit you give people on these boards as even Greg Raymer didnt realize what Harrington was doing when he reraised Raymer and Arieh with 62o. He commented on it during his espn commentary that that hand was not in his mind.

[/ QUOTE ]

So because Harrington (arguably) outplayed them on one hand, he's automatically better. Raymer and Arieh outplayed him on enoguh hands to, you know, like outlast him in the tourney, and in Raymer's case win it. What does that count for?

Harrington is a great tourney NL player, just not because of one hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't know Arieh and Raymer played at the same table as Harrington throughtout the whole tournament. Or that they played every single hand against him. Maybe just maybe they accumulated all those chips against lesser opponents? Yeah I mean other than the WSOP Raymer has won how many tourneys??? hmmm.. let me count, I don't think I have enough fingers. Btw I have nothing against Raymer, very nice guy just your logic makes no sense.
Old 06-24-2005, 08:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
will be misused by many to justify going all in with trash. I obviously need to reread it but after reading it once I just wonder how bad online tourneys will be now.

[/ QUOTE ]

Um, what, exactly is *bad* about your opponents in a tournament making a huge error?