Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-21-2005, 11:46 PM

Default Re: Unsure about this turn play

[ QUOTE ]
Strongly consider raising the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

the way i see it is you floped A high and a inside straight draw, thats not strong enough for a raise imo but i'm sure its just something i'm missing.

can you explain why? i'm making a lot of mistakes if the raise is correct and would like to correct them <3
Old 06-22-2005, 04:30 PM

Default Re: Unsure about this turn play

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Strongly consider raising the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

the way i see it is you floped A high and a inside straight draw, thats not strong enough for a raise imo but i'm sure its just something i'm missing.

can you explain why? i'm making a lot of mistakes if the raise is correct and would like to correct them <3

[/ QUOTE ]

You've got a backdoor flush draw, an inside straight draw and one good overcard. Lets call the backdoor flush draw 1.5 outs, the inside straight draw 3.5 (because the four of spades will complete the flush draw), and the 3 aces as 2 outs (because of the bad kicker). Having 7 outs, raising on the flop for a free card is a good play. Also, by raising the flop, you charge anyone on the flush draw. Looking back, I should've played it this way.

If I had raised the flop, and then got bet into on this turn I would just call down (a bet here after my flop raise is a sign of strength and I don't want to be forced to call a 3bet that I'm getting odds to call).

If on the other hand I had just called the flop, raising the turn might actually be the best play because I'm likely to get a showdown at the same cost as if I had called the turn and a river bet, while at the same time charging spade draws. Additionally, my decision for how to play against a 3bet is easier because there is less money in the pot, making a fold easier.