Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: What's your move here?
Call 31 34.83%
Fold 58 65.17%
Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-22-2005, 02:38 PM

Default How many of you go all in with flush draws?

30+3 early in MTT tournament on Party. 1st round, Blinds are 10/20. You are BB. UTG raises it to 60, 2 calls behind, you sit with A8h and call. Flop comes 2h3hJc pot is 240. You check, UTG brings it to 120, one call. Hero...? I wanna know wether you guys think its better to go for the double up early and play aggressive throughout and risk the bust.
Old 06-22-2005, 02:48 PM

Default Re: How many of you go all in with flush draws?

The problem with going all-in on the flush draw (in this case with a single overcard) is that it is only profitable if you have folding equity. In the low buy-in Party tournaments, especially this early, you may have no folding equity whatsoever. If you know that you will get called by the clown with KJ (or JT for that matter), pushing is just bad poker.

A good rule of thumb I've read here is that for the semi-bluff with a nut flush draw, you need TWO overs and, under ideal circumstances, some kind of straight draw.

Incidentally calling is usually very bad - the turn will blank 75% of the time, and there is no guarantee that you'll make any money if your flush actually hits.
Old 06-22-2005, 02:56 PM

I'm more inclined to push if its the nut flush draw, you have two overs, and you have the opponent covered in chips. I don't alway make that play when the conditions are met though. This early in the larger tournaments I think pushing here is a little too LAGish and I'm passing it up here without any reads on the table.
Old 06-22-2005, 02:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Incidentally calling is usually very bad - the turn will blank 75% of the time, and there is no guarantee that you'll make any money if your flush actually hits.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually in this situation, the pot odds require a call.

TT
Old 06-22-2005, 03:02 PM

i would fold pre-flop.

then i prefer a call. if you call, you might have somebody else on a flush draw, and you can stack them. you're getting 4:1 now, so you have odds to draw even if you don't get paid off at all, so calling > folding.
Old 06-22-2005, 03:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually in this situation, the pot odds require a call.

TT

[/ QUOTE ]

Quite right. I missed the caller in-between. But boy do I not like leaking chips in this fashion.