Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-22-2005, 05:33 AM

Default Re: Group Hug (Absolutely no content whatsoever)

[ QUOTE ]
anyone can win at poker but not everyone can handle losing. it's the price you pay for making the easiest money you'll ever make

while I sympathize with those who run bad, I don't condone bitching about it a lot, as it doesn't make things better. we all lose and it sucks. some lose more than others. some lose less. you'll never see me criticize someone for complaining about a real downswing but I just think it's a waste of energy

but maybe it helps some people...

[/ QUOTE ]

It's almost certainly a sign of my shortcomings as a player, but it helps me IMMENSELY to know that other winning players have/are/will go on similar downswings and its not just that I'm an idiot, though me being an idiot certainly has contributed to the magnitude, if not the existence of the downswing...

Part of (I think) what makes me a winning player (I think) is the cast iron confidence that I am capable of beating the game, and the loss of confidence is much worse then the dollars (cause its not my money until I withdraw it fromt he poker site anyway...) involved with any major downswing.

Hence my very bald faced attempt to get a little love from this group of warm fuzzy individuals.

God I'm a p***y sometimes,
SP
Old 06-22-2005, 06:26 AM

Default Dont count your downswing

I never actually monitor my downswings. I dont know my exact bankroll, its spread across many sites.

I do monitor my balance at each site and update after playing, I just dont total up until the end of the month.

So therefore if I do have a bad day, the next day I am starting againnot even thinking "oh Im 50bb down from yesterday" , I maybe play at a different site, so not seeing the red losses in one column for the same site when I log balnce at end of day.

So basically im saying dont even monitor your downswings, especially while they in progress. Just tally up at the end of month.

If you are losing month after month, then you got a problem.

Anyone punching there p.c screen is playing with money they cant afford to lose.
Old 06-22-2005, 08:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Guys, throwing things, breaking keyboards, screaming, and all the other crap you do to blow off steam is holding you back as a player. We need to get better at just letting it go.

Krishan

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. The day I can stop getting angry at short term fluctuations, is the day I become a more effective poker player.
Old 06-22-2005, 08:32 AM

Stupid poker, now I'm running at 10BB/100 for 2.5k after the same thing in the negative the previous 2.5k hands....this game is so stupid.
Old 06-22-2005, 08:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i just punched through my computer screen after losing a9 to 97 (two pair) two hands in a row at 10/20 and a large, large downswing. i need a big hug.

[/ QUOTE ]
97 is the nuts preflop.
Old 06-22-2005, 09:50 AM

I would just like to say that: it's a cold world, baby girl.
Old 06-22-2005, 10:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
anyone can win at poker but not everyone can handle losing. it's the price you pay for making the easiest money you'll ever make

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, that's a really good way of putting it. I like that.

On a separate note, I'm currently running ok - but in my first 3k hands at my new limit I've gotten QQ 20 times and I'm down a solid 20BB with it. I find that absolutely hilarious - it's my largest loser so far. Just goes to show how crazy the game can get.