Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-21-2005, 04:23 AM

Default Re: Bad time to be tricky??

[ QUOTE ]
I have no idea how to play 9BB poker. Who the hell plays 9BB poker?

-T

[/ QUOTE ]
17.4BB's.
Old 06-21-2005, 04:28 AM

I'd push the flop. No point in giving him a free card.
Old 06-21-2005, 11:46 PM

Some of these responses look very results orientated. This is perfect flop to check-raise or wait till the turn to get in. Sure he may call a flop bet, but a CR here or turn bet is fine surely. You can't seriously say you must bet this flop to protect against runner-runner?!
Old 06-22-2005, 12:10 AM

I understand trying to get a check/raise w/ a short stack and 2 Ace's,but it's a very risky play.Say everyone limps and gets to see a flop and some one fires out a big bet. You may get excited and think thats what you want,but you could be in big trouble. Who knows what kind of hand they hit on the flop that you let them see.You could now be behind, and you might not be in that situation if you had raised preflop. I usually won't limp with aces unless I have a big stack short handed, or If I am willing to lay them down in a bad situation after the flop. AA is the best preflop hand on hold'em and that's the best time to get your money in, because after the flop is when pocket aces get broken.
Old 06-22-2005, 12:19 AM

How can you checkraise when you don't even have a full bet left in the first place?
Old 06-22-2005, 01:41 AM

ok, ok, check call. Point still stands.
Old 06-22-2005, 05:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Some of these responses look very results orientated. This is perfect flop to check-raise or wait till the turn to get in. Sure he may call a flop bet, but a CR here or turn bet is fine surely. You can't seriously say you must bet this flop to protect against runner-runner?!

[/ QUOTE ]

Let's go over this hand then, and I'll show you why there's no point in playing this tricky.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.25 BB (8 handed) converter

MP2 ($4.40)
CO ($7.50)
Button ($33.40)
SB ($6.15)
BB ($22.35)
UTG ($15.50)
UTG+1 ($24.40)
Hero ($4.35)

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero calls $0.25, MP2 calls $0.25, CO calls $0.25, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises to $0.5</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB calls $0.25, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $1.5</font>, MP2 folds, CO folds, Button calls $1, BB folds.

Hero now has $2.85!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Flop: -----&gt;&gt;&gt;($4.10)&lt;-----
2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, Button checks.

Many hands we beat will call this all in bet. It's about 70% of the pot. This is the main reason and further justification should not be necessary.

Also, the point of playing shortstacked is to put in most of our money with good preflop hands as early as possible. We are specifically avoiding tricky postflop play by limiting our stack size.

We've narrowly defined our hand also by the limp-reraise, so we might as well just shove it in there and let him decide whether he wants to draw against us. Checking won't induce a bet often after our preflop play.

Besides the fact that the flop is getting called here pretty often, his hand value isn't going to change that often here from flop to turn.

If he has x, he'll improve y often:
MOST COMMON HAND ON FLOP-no pair, about 1/8th (but still well ahead)

-some pocket pair, ~1/23.5?? (yer dead)
-gutshot, about 1/11th (dead)
-one pair, about 1/9th (yer behind, but you have hidden outs)
-oesd, about 1/6th (yer dead)

Where's the upside to letting him catch?

I'd much rather push and let him call me when he has something, and fold when he completely whiffs.

Slowplaying here is outplaying yourself.
Old 06-22-2005, 06:35 AM

i don't think with your stack that you should slow play the AA. villain has raised the pot before the flop. if he has any pair, he will call your bet. in fact, you lose this either way you play it. he's calling an all in bet with his gutshot, overcard, and backdoor flush.

and good Lord, switch tables already. who wants to play at a table full of small stacks? i won't sit at atable hardly unless at least 2 players have double the buy-in.

cheers!
Old 06-22-2005, 08:19 AM

Default The true HH

[ QUOTE ]
PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.25 BB (8 handed) converter

MP2 ($4.40)
CO ($7.50)
Button ($33.40)
SB ($6.15)
BB ($22.35)
UTG ($15.50)
UTG+1 ($24.40)
Hero ($4.35)

Preflop: Hero is on his last dime with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero pushes, some fold, <font color="#CC3333">Button thinks "A maniac with a short stack!?!? And I'm s00ted! CAAAAAALLL</font>, the rest fold (but why????).

Flop: ($9.80) 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Turn: ($9.80) K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

River: ($9.80) 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Final Pot: $9.80

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
Hero has Ad Ac (one pair, aces).
Button has 5h Ah (flush, ace high).
Outcome: Button wins $9.80. </font>

[/ QUOTE ]

At least you would've saved 30 seconds